Thread: How close?

Hybrid View

Learn and practice shooting sitting down. I can't remember the last time I shot a deer standing up. even in a blind you have to sit down and shoot. a deer believe it or not will pick a human out quicker when they are standing up. even when I am gun hunting I try to sit by a tree not stand by it, plus I can then use my knee to get a good solid rest when I shoot. the extra time and movement you are doing is that much more of a chance that the deer will pick you up.

Sure wish my dad had been able to teach me all this! Anyway... thoughts I'm immediately taking away from this:
    - Get some practice shooting while seated, but that only works off the left side of my stand (elbow hits the tree behind me if I got to a fwd shot).
    - Stand up for first and last hours of the day!
    - Don't set up in the only tree I can find in the middle of a more open area in the woods! Be more picky about what trees I climb... which can be difficult with a climbing stand.

In response, I always try to stand up as soon as I see deer... the problem is that they sneaked up on me - sure would be nice if they would announce their approach! I also went in and picked a different tree to hunt from. As this was my first time on this property, I think there is room for improvement. Or maybe I just need to work on my sneak.
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

yes deer sure can be sneaky suckers
    I personally think the new ear amp's they sell are a great idea for archery, heven gun season to help hear them coming in, can also be in a muff to help keep ears warm too LOL

might besomething to look into
    its also a good reason to try and buy the quietest gear you can , to help not drown out aproaching game, and give away your location
    lots of things can be done to stands to hhelp make them mroe quiet too
    I know my lone wolf , was Ok, but I found several area;s to make it better!

I like to set up 15-20 yards off of a trail as it makes shoots easier and actually 20-30 yards are the sweet spot shooting out of my climber. I try to climb about 20' but I have also hunting out of 15-18 ladder stand with pretty good success. I try to find the right tree especially in my climber but I also dont want to be silhouetted when I move. So I try to pick spots with enough tree cover behind me so that I do not stick out. I have to stand to shoot out of my climber. I try to move when the deer have there heads down, are behind a tree or are looking away. I have only once gotten picked off up in a tree and that was during rifle season years ago.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information