Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 Rut activity

found a small rub line back behind dads and decided to throw a camera on it. and this is what i got in return . a decent looking 9. hopefully he hangs around another 2 years. i moved the camera today closer to my stand on a very fresh scrape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXN...ature=youtu.be
    MARINE CORPS 2111

there is 4 buddies of mine west of lucasville & the last 2 days have been very slow...up here in michigan near grand rapids its rolling, 5 bucks this a.m......a 10 was chasing a doe all around us from 8 to 915, when we were leaving there was a huge 11 standing over a bedded doe in the middle of a 35 ac bean field.......last night there was big 8 out checking/chasing doe's at 445....its going good

Sun. 11/02/14 saw 3 bucks cruising, a spike,6pt and a small 8pt. also a big doe and her little one so she wasn't in Estrous yet. they are cruising here in Ashtabula Co. Ohio but not actually chasing yet. I would say this weekend should be seeing bucks chasing doe's.

Saturday evening saw a nice 8 chasing a doe activity has picked up a bunch compared to last weekend it is only going to get better

(Delaware Co.) Last night (Sun) I got in my stand at about 330pm. I had little activity until about 530pm and then the woods blew up. I got out the grunt call because I was getting frustrated and called in a buck. Definately should have started grunting earlier because once that buck came in it was on. Soon enough another buck was in my area fighting the first buck. In the meantime about 6 doe came cruzing in. Once the bucks stopped fight they split and started chasing the doe like crazy. Sounded like they were going to knock down the trees. Of course this whole time they are staying in the high brush and not giving me any shots. Then nearing 6pm a huge bodied buck walks out broadside infront of me at 20 yards. By this time it was so dark in the woods I couldn't fully make out how old or how big his rack was so I passed. It was a tough decision but I have been seeing some really nice shooters and then big young bucks so that made me think twice.

I am thinking about taking this Tuesday off to hunt in the evening but it says it is going to be in the upper 50's. Will those higher temps slow down the activity?

I live on the WV, OHIO border, and have access to farms in both.. In WV Friday night I saw two small bucks (a 6 I have on camera and I believe a new 5 point) cruise through.. I went back into that same spot Saturday morning and it was electric the first hour after daylight, four bucks, including the 8 I have on cam I want (only about 115 but that's a trophy in WV :).. anyways, couldn't get a shot at him as he stayed down below at about 56-60 yards the whole time.. As I was walking out of woods I noticed two new scrapes about 80 yards from tree I climb.. Sunday I went up to Ohio (Nelsonville) and hunted all day. Saw 6 deer in morning sit, 5 doe and a 4 point, and in evening saw nada, zilch, nothing.. Thus, spot in WV seems rutting action was hot and heavy, yet in Ohio it seems its still a week or so away from being prime time? Two weeks ago I posted that we had bucks cruising during daylight hours (posted pics because Zach requested) but since then its been few and far between.. Any input from hunters in Central or Eastern Ohio? Rutting activity still seem to be a few days away?

MOCK SCRAPE BUCK

Wolfe, I was thinking the same thing maybe taking off on Wed. this week but remembered I off next Tue. Veterans Day so I am taking the Mon. before so I will have this Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue off. I should be able to put something on the ground by the. I shot one of my biggest Ohio bucks 4yrs ago to the day on 11/03/10,. he was cruising and came in to my mock scrape. I it when they are in a pre-rut like they seem to be doing now. once the rut starts it is hard to get them to stop and they end up in lock up with a doe. here is the buck of 4yrs ago my profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  

That is an amazing deer! Hope he is hanging with pride on a wall in your house.

I ended up taking off on Friday because the temps are supposed to dip again. Last night I was sitting in my living room and saw 3 doe in my backyard. Soon enough out popped the big bodied deer I saw Sunday night that I couldn't make out. He is a young 6 pointer. Glad I didn't shoot him Sunday because he could be a monster next year. Anyway, he chased the doe off and I got my grunt call out and hit it a few times through the bedroom window. A few second later he came charging out of the woods lookng around like a crazed animal. Stomping and snorting. I let him og on his way and in a few minutes I heard him hammering on another buck in the woods. Hoping it was something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKHUNTER30-06 View Post
    Wolfe, I was thinking the same thing maybe taking off on Wed. this week but remembered I off next Tue. Veterans Day so I am taking the Mon. before so I will have this Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue off. I should be able to put something on the ground by the. I shot one of my biggest Ohio bucks 4yrs ago to the day on 11/03/10,. he was cruising and came in to my mock scrape. I it when they are in a pre-rut like they seem to be doing now. once the rut starts it is hard to get them to stop and they end up in lock up with a doe. here is the buck of 4yrs ago my profile.

Hunted last night, with very high winds and temps near 70, spotted my first shooter buck of the season, he stood in the middle of a picked bean field for about 5 mins, too far for a shot, on my way to work this morning saw a mature buck that almost ran out in front of me! I believe the big ones are really on the move now!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

I hunted yesterday morning and didn't see/hear any activity. I had a small fork horn come in at daylight, but that was it. Last night as I was driving home from running errands, a nice buck crossed the road in front of my with his nose to the ground. I work thru Saturday and then it's 3 days of solid hunting. Hopefully it's not too late by then.
    Bear Lights Out 27"/60#
    Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows
    Whisker Biscuit
    Extreme Archery 3 Pin Sight
    100gr Rage 2 Blade

"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

Ted Nugent

Thread Information