Thread: Bedding Area Question?????

Bedding Area Question?????

I have a couple stands on the edge of a large bedding area. I was wondering if this time of year will a dominant buck allow other bucks to bed in the same area he does? I was hunting there Thursday evening and had a nice buck 120"-130" walk out of the bedding area. Then just when it was about dark the big boy I am after walks out but I didn't have enough light so I let him walk.

In the past I have hunted bedding area's and have seen several buck use the same area but I think once the rut starts it will also good luck out there

this time of yr YES, as the rut starts up, I say NO
    bigger, well more dominant bucks tend to chase the lesser one's off
    but not always
    I think some smarted bucks, use the younger dumber one's as alarms, for danger LOL
    so having them about can help them survive
    and will be based on amount of bedding cover in an area
    in an area that is mostly open and cover is far and few
    they will bed more together yr round
    due to just not much to hide if

I wanted to tell you all about Thursday's evening hunt. On my way to my spot in several fields I already saw deer in them so I'm thinking I hope I'm not late getting there. On my way into the stand I busted 2 does out of there. I climb into my stand and finally about 6:15 I looked to my left and saw about a 120"-130" buck come out of the bedding area. When he came out though he worked away from me. I waited it out until almost dark and just as I was about to get down another buck comes out of the bedding area. This one was a big boy. He was 35 yards away and walking up the trail. Only problem was I just didn't have enough light. So, I choose the right stand but I needed that buck to come out about 5-10 minutes sooner. I won't be getting back out now until next week sometime. Good luck to everyone else. Hope you all put one down.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTheFall View Post
    I wanted to tell you all about Thursday's evening hunt. On my way to my spot in several fields I already saw deer in them so I'm thinking I hope I'm not late getting there. On my way into the stand I busted 2 does out of there. I climb into my stand and finally about 6:15 I looked to my left and saw about a 120"-130" buck come out of the bedding area. When he came out though he worked away from me. I waited it out until almost dark and just as I was about to get down another buck comes out of the bedding area. This one was a big boy. He was 35 yards away and walking up the trail. Only problem was I just didn't have enough light. So, I choose the right stand but I needed that buck to come out about 5-10 minutes sooner. I won't be getting back out now until next week sometime. Good luck to everyone else. Hope you all put one down.
    I had the same thing happen to me on Wednesday night. Had 3 doe, 3 button bucks, and 4 pointer all out in front of me from 6-7pm. Around last shooting light out walks a monster buck about 150yds from me. Since the moon was coming out and was so bright I could see him drink out of my pond then roam around. I ended up sitting in my stand until 8pm when he walked away so I didn't tip him off to my stand. Last night I checked my trail camera and sure enough after it was completely dark he was in there eating out of my feeder. Old mature bucks are a lot smarter than I ever give them credit for.

If the big boys come out 5 to 10 min. sooner they would not be big boys. that is how they got that way. you can not hunt a big buck the way you hunt a 1/ 1/2 yr. old deer. Do I know the solution no I don't even with 42yrs of hunting under my belt. does anyone know the solution no they don't if they say they do they are either lying or just trying to impress someone. The only thing I can say is hunt the Pre-rut and Rut as much as you can that is the only time a mature buck will let his guard down chasing does. some big boys even do that under darkness and become almost unkillable under legal taking. good luck and just stay at it. remember it is called hunting for a reason.

Thread Information