Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Brand Suggestions...?

Camera Brand Suggestions...?

Im in the market for a couple new cameras and thought i would ask from those who use them which brands they suggest. I have multiple old Moultrie cameras that have been troopers until the lcd read outs usually kick the bucket, but its an easy fix. I picked up a new Moultrie last week and tossed it in the woods but havent had a chance to check the results yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How do you fix the lcd on the old Moultrie cams I have 4 of them and only one display works

been using trail cameras since the late 90's
    have owned many brands
    when buying a cam, you have to really know how you plan to use it
    a cam over say bait and a cam over a trail, are two different deals
    wake up time is a huge deal maker to me
    as baiting is illegal in pa in hunting season (well 30 days prior to it too)
    I personally found moltrie cam s to work and last yrs, have one that has been on a tree for over 3 yrs straight same tree
    but it a super slow wake up cam
    and will miss 50-60% of things that walk past it
    the solar panel works great battery life over a yr
    but again due to missing so many things? battery life should last LOL

my cuddyback(non typical before they switched names)
    have been very good cam's
    first 4 plus yrs they all worked flawlessly
    super fast trigger times
    they have the ONLY bear box/lock box that actually will keep thieves from stealing your cam, as there box protects the lock too, NOT just the cam
    every single other cam company, leaves there loc exposed, and any idiot with bolt cutters can have both the cam and metal box
    I sadly live in a high theft area on cam's, so that is very important option for me
    I have tried several other cam companys
    but the cam has flaws, no battery

check to tell you how much life is left, so a guessing game, has only 4 settings, and battery life is not the best, all the worse on the true flash models
    but i love color night time pic's, so worth the extra costs in battery's to me
    and last, seems that after about 4 yrs they start to act up, work great one day then next don't
    I blame moisture and temps, my cams live in the woods all yr, and we get temps from minus 15 to over a 100
    maybe a lot to ask as yrs go by

right now have a wildgame one, walmart special
    and actually impressed with it for under a 100 bucks
    very fast wake up time and triggger speed just about 1 second, get 4 or 5 thousand pics out of batteries
    but in the first few weeks the one tab to close it broke in the cold, cheap plastic, its mounts to the tree with 2 supplied bungee cords, and they stretched out fast had to replace, but 2 yrs outside and still working fine
    OK cam in my book, all the more for the price
    have a walmart Tasco cam
    JUNK , well, first few yrs, it was an OK cam over a bait pile or feeder, has about a 5 plus second wake up/trigger time, so unless a critter stands in front of it a while, it will never take a pic
    pic quality is Good, and some days cam works a LOt better than others, but some days it doesn't work at all
    battery life is the same, some time will get 4 thoudand pic's, some times just a few hundred on a set of battery's
    bushnel
    have several models
    same deal, most all seem to have slow wake up times/triggers
    some worked great at first, then went down hill fast
    customer service was OK, a few cams were replaced, and some still don't work
    inovative game cam's
    the one's I had , again super slow wake up, battery life was OK, pic quality was Ok
    but no long term testing, all grew legs and never to be seen again
    guess my point is this
    since I have had cams, more than one of same model
    i found same brand same model to NOT work the same
    its like pick of the litter
    how they were handled during shipping I think matters a lot LOL
    electronicqs don't like abuse
    but typically, higher end cams Imo have better features, faster trigger speeds, MISS less pictures
    there are other brands I have tried
    but to date my cuddybacks, have been the best overall, for getting game on cam
    and NOT growing legs due to there lock box design
    others really should follow there lead and make a better lock box
    as with cuddyback should follow other comoanys and offer more features on there cams LOL,

Cabela's is having a trail camera sale right now. I bought the Cabela's Outfitter Series 8MP IR Trail Camera back in August. It is my first trail camera but I have been impressed with it. Just this week I replaced the original batteries from August. 400-500 pics a week during that span. Has great features. LCD screen to view pics at the tree, color pics, time/date/temp stamps on each pic, IR LEDs light up the night pics really well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat103867380

I bought a new Browning Recon series this year and was very impressed. 8 mp, IR, video with audio, all that good stuff, I got it in eBay from an archery shop for $60 with free shipping, for that price can't beat it works great. I started out with using some lithium AA's and they lasted me I think about 4 months, and that was getting about 300-400 pics a week. I'm sure its not the greatest trail camera out there but for what you get and the price...
    I live life at full draw....

Cuddyback's camera for this year, the IR or Blackflash that is priced right around $150 is a very good cam, but I would recommend the one with the longest capture distance. At night, unless the animal is fairly close, it is hard to see what is really triggering the sensor. I also own an Attack IR model which again has similar issues to the newer models. But agreeing with mrbb, the trigger time is super fast in this camera. I also own a Bushnell, which probably takes the best picture, but these are over $200 I believe. I caught mine on sale. I do have a couple of Wildgame cams that are pretty decent for the price, but I think longevity is a problem. I've also owned a couple of stealthcams, which can get the job done if you're in a bind. If the cam is planning to be in food plots, I would think you could get away with just about anything, but on a trail, trigger times are the name of the game. All in all, I have had the best luck with cuddyback and bushnell.

I use Moultrie M80 blk and love the If you put lit batteries they last for ever
    Reezen 7
    HHA B-Stinger
    Quad Ultra Pro Rest
    Axis arrows

I agree, trigger speed wake up time, is a make or break it on any cam other than one over bait
    and sadly, many folks will never know what a good cam is, over a so so cam
    its one of them deals, tull you have one, you tend to think what you have is OK
    till that good one comes along
    I used to place cams on same tree to see if one was more reliable at capturing game over another
    and on same tree with most other models, my cuddybacks would have twice as many oic's on average?
    thats a LOt of missed critters on other cams
    that even if they get 500 pic's a week
    they still missed 500 more?

you do some times get what you pay for
    sadly, paying big bucks on a cam, sucks when they grow legs LOL
    only down fall to them

00buck, as the lcd's starting going out i contacted Moultrie and on most occassions they were easy to work with and sent me new lcd's. It been a while but i think they gave me the option to send the camera to them but i opted for the part to be sent to me. Instructions were a little bs but finally figured it out, and after the first one it was a breeze. Ive had some buddys who had the same issue and i think they were charged a couple dollars for the part but i never paid a dime.

Thanks for the replys so far guys, it definitely helps to get real feedback considering every manufacture will tell you they have the best product. Any other thougts are appreciated!

Thread Information