Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PA closed deer hunting

Well I hope they catch him
    and I hope he hasn't left a trail of bombs behind too
    there is like a 100K reward on his ass now too
    archery season here is only 6 weeks long, so loosing time with this hunt for him, is shortening an already short season for them up that way

Its unfortunate that people loose hunting time but I would rather people be safe than sorry.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    Its unfortunate that people loose hunting time but I would rather people be safe than sorry.
    well I agree, but hunters are adults(have to be at least 16 to hunt alone, well mayeb at 16 your not an adult, but I imagine parents would have say over a kid till 18 lol)
    and I would like to think we should be able to make the decision on our own, if the risk is worth it or not?? this is america, where free choice was a right!
    I mean the guy is out there 24/7 till they get him, can be any where

its not just hunters that should have to worry , about being safe!
    all daily things can put anyone at risk, and NOT just from this nut job!

and again, most hunters are armed no?
    would like to think this guy is doing his best to avoid all contacts of being seen, and seems like fleeing is his first choice
    as if not, he would have made a stand by now!
    anything can surely trigger a reaction I gather
    but again
    if an adult wants to make the call to hunt
    part of me says that is what should happen, not being forced to NOT have the option
    all the more so,
    when they are NOT even sure he is in this area! for a fact!
    there are reports he is GONE< rumors only that he is there! and so called sightings, that can not be said are 100 % it was him!

its been almost a month now
    that's a long time to stay in one spot for anyone! IMO. maybe all the more so on a man being hunted by a small army of cops!
    maybe adding some hunters to the mix might flush him out, or help to capture him!
    no one HAS to hunt if they don't want to
    but shouldn't the option be there's??

The latest on Mr. Frein police struck out on a possible sighting on Sun. At a northeastern nursery. they have found 2 pipe bombs, some ramen noodles and tuna fish and clothes at camp sites used by Mr. Frein. they also found 90 rds of ammo the same type used to kill the state cop which started all this. many fellow hunters as stated in posts here think they should let the hunters have a choice and be able to hunt anyways. I think that is a bad move the chance of Mr. Frein killing even one more person such as a hunter is one too many. just think if a father took his 12 yr old son out for the 1st time hunting and his son got shot by Mr. Frein would it be worth it all for one deer for one year I think not. I am a die hard hunter and anybody who knows me knows I live and breathe hunting but, sometimes you have to be level headed and know what is best for all. I just hope it ends soon and no more people get shot .

I agree no deer is worth getting show over
    but again, if a hunter doesn't want the risk, he shoukd have the right to stay home
    if one what to go knowing he is out there, that option too
    and as for finding ammo the caliber he used, well, that's an extremely common caliber, I sold millions, and I mean millions of rounds of it to folks that live in that area when i had my gun store
    few hunting camps don't have members that don't own a gun in that caliber/
    this moron is out there 24/7
    he can kill at any time, anyone, NOT just hunters that might go hunting if allowed
    proof is IF he is still in that area, and IF he is hiding in homes
    his odds of running into a NON hunter are higher, than a hunter IMO
    I was an advid hunter, i trainer shooter, and law enforcenet folks on shooting for yrs
    not everyone would be willing to take the risk to go hunt
    fine, but folks that are should have that right
    IMOits still the USA ,
    they are not forcing folks to leave this area
    folks again at same risk as any hunter would be?
    contact can happen at any time
    sooner this jerk is caught the better
    and IF folks want to hunt, they might help find him faster
    hell what was the point of offering such a huge reward for him, if they didn't want help from the public?
    for a 100 plus grand/
    if i ownee hunting land in that area
    that would be a bigger incentive for me to want to go hunt/
    LOL but that's me, others can do as they please
    wait NO they cannot? option to go was removed by the game dept??

At 1st mrbb I said the same thing you are saying I think because I am so involved in hunting and put my shoes in the hunters there who can't hunt because the PGC. ordered it. I am by no means backing the PGC because I think they have all most ruined our deer herd in Pa. when they started the 2 weeks season if it's brown it's down. that is another sore subject I hate to get into. back to letting all archery hunters in the woods at their own choice if it were me hunting there I would take the chance if given it but, think if they let all the camo hunters in the woods where Mr. Frein was he could easily just blend in and get out of the area. as far as finding the ammo yes a lot of hunters have that same caliber of ammo but how many hunters leave 90 rds lay at a campsite. the price of ammo today is sky high compared to a few years ago I don't think any hunter today is just going to leave ammo lying around the woods for further use and have another hunter pick it up. the 90 rds of live ammo they found is that of Mr. Frein. He is running out of food and I think they are banking on him trying to enter a cabin or hunting camp and I am sure they have them staked out to try and corner him. I
    predict he will be caught in 2 more days. see if I am right. I hope so for all involved.

I hear you, me and my opinion of the Pa Game dept is Low to say the least
    you say almost ruined deer, what about pheasants
    we were a top 5 pheasant state
    now, maybe about 40 on the list?
    Sad
    yet they say NOT there fault
    after all, they were onky in charge of protecting game in Pa
    NOT sure who's fault it is then
    when I asked them, they blamed the farmers?? After all, I know out in the remaining prime pheasant states, there are no farmers there RIgHt??
    Any how
    as for leaving ammo behind
    after selling guns and ammo, and doing shoots, some times 7 days a week for 15 yrs
    I seen a lot of folks leave ammo behind
    shall I call it a beer related issue?
    and I have found many boxes of ammo in the woods over the yrs deer hunting or walking the dog
    hell My one buddy seems to leave a box of .243 At our farm every yr
    I've known a few guys too that left guns in the woods too
    and some that found guns
    that area is HUGE for sportsman clubs
    I am NOt saying it cannot be his
    BUt think about this
    if you were being hunted down
    would you really leave ammo behind??
    if I was planning a shoot out, I'd want all the ammo I could carry?
    crazy nuts, can live off a lot of foods in the woods, if willing to eat em
    I think if anything forces this guy out it will be the cold temps coming
    I also think its very possible he is NOT in that area too
    again, I think having hunters in the woods , willing one's, would do more good than bad
    looking for him, all the help they can get to me is a plus
    its a hige needle in a hay stanck right now, the more eyes the better

Obviously living in south western Ohio I don't know all of the details of what's going on up there but in my opinion I think it should be up to the hunters if they want to hunt. I see both sides of the coin but as mrbb said, if a legal level headed adult wants to hunt it should be their choice. I mean im sure some of these guys have been hunting for many many years, they know the risks of what's out there right now. Let them make the choice, especially if its their own land! I know if someone came to my house and said that I was not aloud to hunt until a nut job was caught...after I have been scouting and plotting on a big mature buck all spring and summer, putting in hours upon hours of my time planting food plots and hanging stands and all that...I would say they were crazy! And did I understand this right, their archery season is only 6 weeks long?? Wow, how blessed we are to have a 4 month season!
    I live life at full draw....

So I am conflicted on what to do. Just because they close hunting doesn't mean that will keep people out of the woods. It is only a 7 township area but that may be a huge area. I am not familiar with that area. Honestly though I find it hard to believe this guy has stayed in that area. I figure he would have gotten the heck out of dodge after what he did. I hope they find him soon but I bet he will pop up a long long long way away from where they think he was. He obviously planned this so I am sure he has an plan or three to get out and far far away
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well I guess I have to admit I was wrong on Mr. Frein he is still at large they claim to see him but can't catch him. tomorrow will be another Sat. missed out on for some Pa. archery hunters. it only last until the middle of Nov. and Saturdays are the only time some hunters can get out. also muzzle loader season starts next weekend in Pa just think of the hunters who have to buy a muzzle loader stamp and maybe won't be able to use it due to Mr. Frein and the Pgc. I don't think the Pgc. is making any new friends about all this and they already have hunters who think some of there ideas are stupid ones. I am glad I archery hunt in Ohio and gun hunt in Pa. I hope he is caught before gun season although I don't hunt the area they are talking about being closed. I don't think the Pgc. will close gun season if he was still at large by then. too many hunters would be at their heels and a lot would go out anyway. I know how Pa. hunters can be it would not be a pretty sight. I hope Mr. Frein runs out of food and makes a mistake and they find him in a cabin, or hunting camp soon.

Thread Information