Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bucks disappeared.....how to get them back?

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKHUNTER30-06 View Post
    I never go in the woods without my grunt call. many only use it when the pre-rut or so called rut starts, big mistake. deer are vocal all year round more so in the rut. a deer that dominant would have either just blown your grunt call off or, would of came in closer to see who was in his territory. try a soft grunt call next time you have nothing to lose. if he ignores it so what you end up where you were before, but if he responds to the call you may be looking at back straps and a deer on the wall.

Thank you BUCKHUNTER30-06 for the suggestion. I just bought a grunt call a week ago but thought I should only use it during the rut time. You make a good point that I am no worse off if he ignores it.

Last night I got into the stand late and as I was walking in I saw him again. He was out a whole hour earlier than Sunday standing in my pond drinking. When he saw me from about 200yds away he slowly walked out of the water and into the woods the exact same place as Sunday night. I figure I will give him a rest tonight because of the weather then get back out real early tomorrow night. I will for sure bring that grunt call this time.

He looks like a giant! I would agree with setting up mock scrapes, but make sure you do it right.
    I would recommend spending a little extra money and getting a good quality urine, not some knock-off fake stuff, a mature Buck will catch on to that real quick and you may blow your chance. Make sure you wear rubber/latex gloves when you go out to set them up and do it early afternoon when the buck should be bedded. I would recommend setting up 3 scrapes around your stand; 1 to the left, 1 straight in front of you, and 1 to your right, all about 15-20 yards out. And don't pour a gallon of urine into the scrape you only need a few drops and then place a few drops onto a licking branch directly above the scrape. When that bucks comes in to hit those scrapes he should hit all 3 of them and no matter what order he hits
    them in he should present you a shot. Also I wouldn't think that he ran all of the other bucks off on your property, maybe just in his core area. How big of a piece of land are you hunting? On top of him hitting up those scrapes the scent will draw in other bucks who are cruising around. And in my opinion as far as the grunt call goes, I like to use mine as well but if you grunt at him and he starts to act wearry or funny, stop. You don't want to scare him off cuz he light not return for a couple days or maybe even weeks. But anyways best of luck to you harvesting him and keep us posted!
    I live life at full draw....

I posted on Tues that the big buck was in my pond drinking again. Sure enough on Wed he was right back in there. The pond is about 150yds from my tree stand and he seems to only come near my stand at night to eat out of my feeder. Every time I have seen him he is in the pond and eating from the weeds by it then back into the woods. My question to everyone is do I hold my ground and hope he comes over to eat or do I risk the chance of scaring him and set up my spare tree stand in a tree closer to the pond?

What time of day are you seeing him? Obviously in daylight? If you know where he is coming out of the woods and where he is going back into the woods, you might be able to pull it off. But I would be VERY careful setting up a new stand in his core area this late in the game. Think about it if you got home from work and someone put a lawn chair in your front yard, woudn't you notice it? If it were me I would try the scarpes first, this time of year you can bring him where you want him by using them. With the right wind he will be able to smell those scrapes from 150 yards out and whether its in the day or at night he will come in to check them out. I forgot to mention, freshin your scrapes about every 10 days and make sure you're scent free when you do. Once deer start using them they will continue to throughout the season and this will just fire him up thinking other deer are in his territory. And he will eventually make the mistake of checking them while you're perched in the tree waiting! A deer that big I wouldn't take the chance of moving in on him, make him move in on you! Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    What time of day are you seeing him? Obviously in daylight? If you know where he is coming out of the woods and where he is going back into the woods, you might be able to pull it off. But I would be VERY careful setting up a new stand in his core area this late in the game. Think about it if you got home from work and someone put a lawn chair in your front yard, woudn't you notice it? If it were me I would try the scarpes first, this time of year you can bring him where you want him by using them. With the right wind he will be able to smell those scrapes from 150 yards out and whether its in the day or at night he will come in to check them out. I forgot to mention, freshin your scrapes about every 10 days and make sure you're scent free when you do. Once deer start using them they will continue to throughout the season and this will just fire him up thinking other deer are in his territory. And he will eventually make the mistake of checking them while you're perched in the tree waiting! A deer that big I wouldn't take the chance of moving in on him, make him move in on you! Just my 2 cents...

zachc that was my thinking too on putting up stands. I wanted to bounce it off someone in here to see what they thought as well. I would have hung a stand weeks ago in the location but it wasn't until the second sitting in my current stand that I first saw this buck. How he was 150 yds from my feeder and never once got on camera is beyond me. I looked at my camera last night and he was in the feeder on Thursday morning at 1230am. Only thing I can think is the dry spell we went on drew him out to drink out of my pond and now has him hanging around.

On Wednesday I made a mock scrap about 15yds from my feeder with Blue Code's Grave Digger. It was vacum packed dirt. I followed the directions and put it down under what looked like a perfect licking branch and in an area where I know the deer travel. It didn't seem to have had any activity as of last night but I am hoping that will draw him in.

Should be a good move. I wouldn't be concerned
    about him not hitting up your scrape yet, only been a day and a half. Did you put any scent of the licking branch? As long as you keep it scent free and he doesn't bust you in the stand you should be good. Also you said you got pics of him...let's see em, lol

Went out just a little bit ago and made my mock scrapes! Only planned putting 3 out but found another spot that was so perfect i had to throw an extra one out. So I'll go out in a week or so and see what happens... very confident though!

Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    Should be a good move. I wouldn't be concerned
    about him not hitting up your scrape yet, only been a day and a half. Did you put any scent of the licking branch? As long as you keep it scent free and he doesn't bust you in the stand you should be good. Also you said you got pics of him...let's see em, lol
    zachc - I was wrong. I pulled my memory card to look at it on my computer this weekend instead of the small LCD monitor on my trail camera. What I thought was the monster was the 10 pointer I have had on camera since August. So the monster still hasn't come the 150yards from its bedding area to eat the free corn in my feeder which still surprises me. The 10 pointer is still a great deer and is my back up plan (which I am greatful to have such a back up plan and hope he sticks around).

I checked on my mock scrape and no luck yet after almost a week. I am thinking either the lack of any scent on the licking branch (since it was just the prepackaged dirt) or I left my scent at the scrape is causing it to be inactive. When I sat in my stand Saturday I could smell the dirt 15ft up in a tree.

Damn I was hoping to see that monster up close, lol. But its all good. Would say stick with the scrapes and freshen them up every 7-10 days and something should happen. As far as you leaving scent behind that's obviously all up to you. Keep on the scrapes and I would put out a couple more close to your stand, its just a matter of time before that big boy starts cruising for a hot doe and to see who's in his house. Keep us posted...

Thread Information