Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucks disappeared.....how to get them back?

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It happens to nearly everyone every year. As long as you still have the does coming in your area it's just a matter of time before you start seeing bucks again. Probably even a few new ones.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Make me feel a little better and gives me some ideas.

I AGREE, as long as you have doe's, bucks will visit your lands
    and it one reason food plots work so well
    they hold deer/doe
    and also why IF you have food plots, its why having different types of plots, to keep deer interested as time goes by, a spring and fall plot contain different foods that appeal to them at different times
    thus helping hold em on your lands better

hang in there and good luck

Same situation - BIG 8 all summer - hundred or more pics of him and medium 7 pointer. I think their disappearance has to do with a resident squirrel hunter who suddenly showed up on my cams. The drama of hunting public land. To add insult to injury, had one of my trail cameras walk away ( first time in four years ). Had a great opening day hunt nonetheless.... Drew on a beefy doe, but never let it go because of a branch that may or may not have impacted the shot. One of my camp mates got a nice doe. Cant wait to go back ( already trimmed that branch - valuable lesson learned).

0/3 now. I hated to burn out a stand but couldn't resist with cold front and rain. Sure enough I had 3 bucks doing fight club under me. My heart was pounding as each one appeared. But no big boys:-(

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    2013-2014 Tally
    Antlered deer seen under 60 yards: 0
    Antlerless deer seen under 60 yards: 6
    Total deer seen:11
    Deer killed:0/ Deer Missed:0
    Morning hunts:2
    Evening hunts:6
    Property/Hunts B:2, F:2, M:10, S:0, R:0

Can't beat that feeling of adrenaline when you have deer come into your range, especially bucks. I wanted to get out in my stand last night but had too much to do. The deer were moving though. I had half a dozen of doe cutting through my yard as the sun was setting. I will have to check out my camera to see if that cold snap brought the bucks back.

BUCK SIGHTINGS

I would start making mock scrapes to get the bucks to think other bucks are in there area. has worked for me. here is a buck I shot after making a mock scrape. he came in to it and shot him at 15yds. I use Jackies licking branch lure and Tinks power scrape but there are many other products to use just my choice on these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  

acorns,acorns & a ton of acorns this year...was down near otway this week end,, alot of feed out there this year, alot of doe's in my woods in 3 days i was there, small bucks on the camera's,BUT ALOT OF FEED...

I think last night I solved my mystery on why the couple of bucks I was getting consistently on my camera disappeared. I got into my stand at about 4:45pm and around 6:15pm about 150yds to my left out walked one of the biggest bucks I have seen. (I attached a few picks but my cell phone at 150yds isn't perfect.) He walked out and proceeded to go down in my pond and drink for a good 20mins. This is a buck I have never seen on my camera at my feeder and that caught me completely off guard. From my crossbow scope I counted 11 points. I think he clearly told the other bucks I had on camera that this was his territory. Anyway after 20mins of drinking he started wandering toward me. It was setting up to be an unbelievable opportunity. As he approched he stopped about every 10yds and ate some grass and did some major looking around. Best part was he was down wind of me with 10 mph winds and didn't bust me. Definately helps confirm that the scent free soaps and sprays make a difference. Finally he got about 25-30yds off of my left facing me and stopped directly behind two branches that provide some cover to my buddy stand. I could have puked that I didn't have a clear shot. He marked his territory a couple of times by peeing, continued to look around and then without any care in the world turned back and slowly headed back to where he came out of the woods. I sat there the next hour or so until dark replaying what I could have done differently but I don't think I could have done anything beyond standing up to clear the branches which with him facing me he would have busted me in a second. I figured I have at least kept my cover and lived to suprise him another day. I am in full out buck fever mode now. I can't wait to get out in that stand again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pond 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	10722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pond 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	10723

I never go in the woods without my grunt call. many only use it when the pre-rut or so called rut starts, big mistake. deer are vocal all year round more so in the rut. a deer that dominant would have either just blown your grunt call off or, would of came in closer to see who was in his territory. try a soft grunt call next time you have nothing to lose. if he ignores it so what you end up where you were before, but if he responds to the call you may be looking at back straps and a deer on the wall.

Thread Information