Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sighting

all the deer here are hitting my feeder from about 9 pm till about 4 am, then nothing
    still have one small bear too, guess its MOM got shot in bear season, and doesn't know its supposed to den for winter!
    the mild temps haven't helped , but getting cold again, so maybe he will figure things out soon and get some sleep in lol!

That's how the deer are, on camera anywhere from midnight to about 4. Hope something changes soon! Times a tickin...lol
    I live life at full draw....

Only seeing deer from 8-9 am and then again after it gets dark but the daylight sightings are in the property owners front yard so I don't want to shoot anything in there yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two feeders up. One in the woods about 20 yards and another in a field off a tree line. The one in the woods is where I am getting the does in the daytime. I have a picture of me refilling the corn at 218pm on Christmas Eve and then a picture of 4 doe in there at 238pm eating. They must be bedded not to far from my feeder and know when to come eat. The feeder in the field is where I am seeing the bucks again but like you guys they are all in the 12-3am range. I don't think I have seen a deer in daylight other than on my camera in 4 weeks. This has been a weird year. I need to start a hunting journal to keep track of these things.

an old hunter I knew once told me
    A deer can cover a LOT of ground in a short period of time
    so them showing up in 20 minutes or so of you being there, could mean there close, or NOT
    I have seen deer cover a mile in less than 20 minutes
    BUT odds are this time of yr, IF safety is PK< they will be bedding closer to food, as to NOT burn wasted energy!
    but the smarter deer always place safety over food 99.9 % of the time IMO!

Just saw 4 on the way home tonight. All within about 15 yards off the road, 2 basically in a front yard and 2 in a driveway. Seems like we finally get a break in the clouds at night and with the moon shining bright, the movement picks up. Also might of spotted a couple guys trying to get an early start on muzzleloader season, turned the corner on my road and saw a car creeping real slow about 2 drives down from me (going the same way). As I got almost to my drive (keep in mind I have about a 200-250 yard driveway) I saw backup lights come on and they backed into the field across the road from the house and cut the lights. So I pulled in the drive and sat for about a minute to see what they were gonna do, and saw nothing. Well I guess they figured I wasn't moving so the lights came back on and they pulled out of the field, and headed back toward the main road going about 10 mph. They passed by drive and I backed up to are where they were going and wouldn't you know it they rounded the corner and headed out!
    I live life at full draw....

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    an old hunter I knew once told me
    A deer can cover a LOT of ground in a short period of time
    so them showing up in 20 minutes or so of you being there, could mean there close, or NOT
    I have seen deer cover a mile in less than 20 minutes
    BUT odds are this time of yr, IF safety is PK< they will be bedding closer to food, as to NOT burn wasted energy!
    but the smarter deer always place safety over food 99.9 % of the time IMO!
    A lot of truth to that! We've seen more deer around 11-2 this week. And when it's really cold out mid day is great on hillsides where the sun hits and there's browse or food. Find the group of deer this time of yr and the big boys will show up eventually.

Finally had some luck this past week and got a deer. Friday evening about 45 mins before sunset I had 10 deer come into a feeder I have about 20 yards into the woods. I have a ladder stand about 20-25 yards from the feeder. There was what I thought was 8 doe and 2 button bucks that I could see from my stand. After sitting there for about 10 mins allowing them to eat and take their attention off of me I had what I thought was 2 button bucks and 1 doe right in front of me. I waited about another 2-3 mins for the doe to turn broadside and then I flung an arrow. Put a good shot on the deer that passed completely through and left a great trail. Ended up finding it about 40 yards from where I shot it. It ran about a 100 yard loop and almost came back to where I shot it. Anyway, when I rolled it over I came to realize it too was a button buck. I took my time trying to avoid the other two because I could tell they were button bucks and still shot one. I was a little disappointed but he isn't going to waste thats for sure.

When tagging him in I was given button buck as an option and I selected it as the type of deer I shot. I could have sworn there used to only be buck or doe/buck with less than 2 inch antlers. Does a button buck count as an antlered buck and not allow me to shoot an antler buck now? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-2-2015.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	10861

Wolfe what you shot was considered an antlerless deer.

"What is an antlerless deer? Antlerless deer include deer without antlers and deer with antlers less than 3 inches in length. Antlered deer are deer with at least one antler 3 inches or longer in length."

From the Hunting Permits section of the page: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-...ng-regulations
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    Wolfe what you shot was considered an antlerless deer.

"What is an antlerless deer? Antlerless deer include deer without antlers and deer with antlers less than 3 inches in length. Antlered deer are deer with at least one antler 3 inches or longer in length."

From the Hunting Permits section of the page: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-...ng-regulations
    Thank you for the info Nomad!! I skimmed through the regulation book and couldn't find that initially. I knew someone on here would definitely know.

Thread Information