Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sighting

Saw 3 doe opening morning and filmed my buddy killing a mature doe. Too hot Sat afternoon so we worked on the barn. Supposed to have a nice cold front for Saturday morning.

Anyone been out the last few days? Seeing anything? I haven't been out...to hot, plus all the deer seemed to be staying off my property for some reason. Hopefully this cold front will put them on their feet. If everything goes as planned I'll be able to get out all day Saturday
    I live life at full draw....

Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    Anyone been out the last few days? Seeing anything? I haven't been out...to hot, plus all the deer seemed to be staying off my property for some reason. Hopefully this cold front will put them on their feet. If everything goes as planned I'll be able to get out all day Saturday
    Yeah any info would be great I have seen them in the beans about 30 mins before sunset where I hunt but haven't been out due to getting off work late just been driving by on the ride home

So I went out this morning and had 5 does walk about 35 yards out but they were behind some brush munching on something and I couldn't get a shot. One finally stepped out about 15-20 by herself. Another 5 ft and she have been directly downwind of me. Once her head got behind a tree I drew back and let one fly. I could tell the shot was slightly high but looked decent left and right. It hit so hard it sounded like someone slapped two 2x4's together and buried close to half my arrow in her. She ran out in front of me and made a big circle and disappeared in some thick stuff behind me. We waited close to an hour to start tracking her, well we were finding 1-2 drops every 10-15 ft, followed that about 60 yards and lost everything! We combed the woods pretty good a couple times but in the end came up empty handed. Very disappointing with a 15 yard shot. Only thing I can think of is maybe I shot right over her vitals and hit all/mostly muscle. But I'm back out in another woods right now trying to get some redemption. Nothing I hate more than not being able to find a hit deer.
    I live life at full draw....

it is cold now, I would keep looking

Sounds like a shoulder hit to me with the loud cracking noise you heard. always a good idea to buddy up and do a grid search when you lose a blood trail. also any time a deer gets shot they get a fever and go to water to drink. look for water holes or creeks and walk up and down them. I have found dead deer almost lying in the creek after being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKHUNTER30-06 View Post
    Sounds like a shoulder hit to me with the loud cracking noise you heard. always a good idea to buddy up and do a grid search when you lose a blood trail. also any time a deer gets shot they get a fever and go to water to drink. look for water holes or creeks and walk up and down them. I have found dead deer almost lying in the creek after being shot.
    I shot one 3 years ago and it died in a creek that was 4 foot deep just glad a guy had seen it run in there or probably wouldn't have recovered it as you really couldn't see it very well

I am guessing you hit shoulder as well. I would keep looking a little bit more before giving up since 1/2 an arrow in the deer may have hit something.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

The same thing happened to me when I shot my first deer, a buck, with my bow... just about 15yds, square through the shoulder, about 20inches of penetration with muzzy fixed blades... never found a single drop of blood.

That was a rough intro to bowhunting...

Back on topic... I've seen 5 deer this year... while I was scouting. I sure hope things pick up!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

My girlfriend got into shooting archery and bow hunting last season some, and was really looking forward to killing her first buck with a bow this season.. Had a small 8 point that was a mature 4+ year old buck coming in daily that needed taken out of the herd.. She stuck it opening Saturday with a muzzy same thing happened.. Granted shes only pulling back 48 pounds.. But still, Muzzy hit it right in the boiler room.. arrow didn't pass through, buck ran off with arrow probably half to 1/3 sticking out... Did not find a single drop of blood, and no dead deer on the property.. She still brings it up everyday.. Tough start to bow hunting for her..Always hate when you cant find a dead or wounded animal, especially the first deer or trophy for someone..

Thread Information