Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sighting

Went out yesterday morning despite the rain and freezing rain. About 8 I had 2 small bucks coming across a cut corn field about 250-300 yards out. They would walk about 40-50 yards, turn around and stare behind them. They did that until they reached the edge of the woods that I was in. I eventually realized what they kept staring at was a BIG 8. As I'm watching him and trying to make sure the lil ones didn't sneek in to close, another small buck chased a doe into the woods in front of me. All 3 bucks ended up chasing her out into the corn field, she parked it beside the big 8 and of course the lil ones backed off a bit. Then they stated chasing another doe that I didn't see out there. Out popped another big 8-10. Small bucks chased the does and the big bucks chased the small bucks for about 40 minutes. I grunted and rattled and threw everything but the kitchen sink at them, no way those big boys were coming off of their does (they were both 140-150" deer). I was about to climb out of the stand and make my way to the edge of the woods and try bringing them in, about that time something spooked them and they all split, hauling *ss! Talk about frustrating. But overall a good morning I guess. First big shooters I've seen hunting all year.
    Last edited by zachc; 11-23-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    I live life at full draw....

Well....been pretty slow on here the last couple days, anyone having any action....?

No it has been slow for me lately. went out Sat. with the sleet 0 deer seen. I did get a pic of a nice 10pt near one of my stands he is a new buck. Sun. morning I had a big doe coming in to my stand stopped at 50yds and looked to it's right. it saw something a deer or another hunter. it turned and left the way it came in from. I was going to shoot it I have a tag left for a doe. here is the 10pt.
    2 weeks ago on a Fri. I got the 1st pic of my target buck. then this last Fri. I get a pic of this 10pt. I guess they know when I am working. well this Fri. I am off for the holiday and will be out there. the time on the one pic is off because I never changed the time. I have to use the remote to do it. also the pic of my target buck should read 5:16 due to the time change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 175.jpg   404.jpg  

A little better pic of my target buck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4022.jpg  

Sat out Sunday evening and saw 3 does, came out if the woods adjacent to my property and fed in a cut bean field until dark, about 300-400 yards out. The wife went out Monday morning had 3 does and a small buck cruise by but didn't hang around long enough for a shot. I just got back in from the stand, at daybreak saw 8 does in the same cut bean field feeding, they finally eased up into the woods shortly after 8. Seems like they're starting to move a lil more around here, just have to get them in closer! Was talking to a guy at work about bringing them out in the daylight. He said go to tsc and get a bale of compressed pure alfalfa and put some out the morning that I plan on hunting, said the scent might bring them out before dark. Said it worked for him on an 8 pointer a couple years ago. Anyone ever tried anything like this or used the alfalfa bales?

I have feed deer alfalfa bale for yrs off and on, I normally buy the BIG round or square bales(50-700 lbs) and cut them up into smaller pieces, place on a pallet or something to keep it off the ground, as once it gets wet it gets moldy fast, and then goes bad!
    deer up my way will eat it, but IF there is other food, they prefer other food it seems, standing corn, or Barassicia, turnips, standing sot bearns, are hard to be beat in winter
    But anything could I guess work, if its new to the area and smells good to the deer!~

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...src=SOC&dom=fb

Anyone see this...pretty interesting!

well I bet there are mixed emotions for the kid, as afterall, he killed a 200+ inch buck, and due to it NOT being a wild free ranging deer, no record book will count it, as so:
    second, I wonder if the state will get involved?; as it was a game farm animal that escaped
    normally that throws up red flags, as ligally you cannot release pen animals into the wild, they are gray area critters then , where the state can take possesion of them, and can fine those that lost them!

and I have to think, a pen raised critter doesn't have the same smarts as a wild deer would,
    a bait pile I bet lead to its undoing!
    as I gather there is some pretty low hunting pressure in the high fence deal, so free easy food, to a deer from in there , made for an easier kill!
    doubt anyone would pass up a chance to shoot it if they could, but its NOT the same as killing a wild free roaming and raised buck to me!
    would bother me some afterwards I think ::???

I would have to agree for the most part. As far as
    the state taking it from him, imo I don't know about that but only time will tell I guess. None the less, I would have smoked that beast if given the chance! I obviously agree that its not the same as harvesting a wild free range deer but hey...its a once in a lifetime opportunity, might as well take it!

yeah, as for the state I think that will be there call, BUT legally, it was a illegal deer that he shot, as legally you cannot release pen raised deer into the wild, that makes them illegal game animals in the state!
    NOW will the state game dept be a prick and take it off the poor sap???
    WHO know's I think the fact he is stating he knew it was a pen raised edeer before he killed it isn't helping him out
    should have said NOTHING about knowing LOL

and said he thought it was that once in a life time deer

the gray area can of worms maybe got open when he said he knew it was a pen farmed deer, and he then shot it knowing so??
    and actually by the book, that would even make it an illegal kill maybe????
    GRAY AREA!!

Crazy, but in today's world , NOTHING shocks me!!
    you know you can kill your own cow's,
    but shoot someone else's and its?????
    and a pen raised deer is just that domestic animals mroe or less so???
    Food for thought maybe??

Thread Information