Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke

Smoke

Any one smoke there clothes as a scent eliminator have read some where that it works as antimicrobial and scent cover

lots of folks do so, and like it/have good results
    ME, never felt its a good idea
    here where I hunt, almost no one burns wood , so smoke, smell of a fire is not a normal deal in the woods
    and as such, I feel will just make me stand out, and critters will pin point me based on i stink like fire LOL
    also fire is a natural thing most critters fear?

s
    however, in my back yard, I burn leaves and such, have a feeder there, 20 ft away from burn pile, and can have 5 ft flames, and critters at my feeder at same time LOL
    so who knows?
    then again in my yard, bears walk up to me, and deer don't care if i am running a gas lawn mower too so??

I bought a smoker for my clothes last season but just can't bring myself to do it.

I have been doing now for 7 yrs and have never been busted! I have killed at least one deer every year except one and that was when I had surgery and didn't get to hunt much. I highly recommend it!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Yuppp.......and I swear by it!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

I like to think it works well... i will always at least smoke my climbing stand.
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

I tried smoking my clothes but too hard to roll up and they burn too fast. taste not so good either depending on how many days worn. went back to smoking cig's. sorry just had to put that in. I have never tried smoke but here a lot about it .use homemade scent killer works good for me and can't beat the cost.

Never done it. First it seems a little pricey and second I believe introducing new scents in the woods where deer are not used to smelling them, is always going to put them on alert. I have been using earth scented wafers in my storage tub ( all my gear ), and then pinned to my clothes in the woods. Haven't been busted that I know of. Seems to be a fair amount of people on here who have experimented with cover scents... see the thread just below " cover or no cover ". I realize smoke and earth are both cover scents, so I think a rubbermaid tub and an $8 package of earth scent wafers would be my first choice. I wash my clothes in scent free detergent, line dry them, and in the tub they go. Camo, Boots, Pack, when I open that bad boy up, all I smell is DIRT. Then I pin three of them to my clothes pants, shirt, hat - before i head into stand. Just my 2 "scents".....

Quote Originally Posted by Toke2 View Post
    Never done it. First it seems a little pricey and second I believe introducing new scents in the woods where deer are not used to smelling them, is always going to put them on alert. I have been using earth scented wafers in my storage tub ( all my gear ), and then pinned to my clothes in the woods. Haven't been busted that I know of. Seems to be a fair amount of people on here who have experimented with cover scents... see the thread just below " cover or no cover ". I realize smoke and earth are both cover scents, so I think a rubbermaid tub and an $8 package of earth scent wafers would be my first choice. I wash my clothes in scent free detergent, line dry them, and in the tub they go. Camo, Boots, Pack, when I open that bad boy up, all I smell is DIRT. Then I pin three of them to my clothes pants, shirt, hat - before i head into stand. Just my 2 "scents".....
    Not trying to change your mind, but if you live wear its legal to burn, just buy a burning barrel, it cost me 8 bucks, then just throw leaves, twigs etc and just stand in front of it to smoke up. this has been my method now for 7 yrs, and i never get winded!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Quote Originally Posted by Toke2 View Post
    Like whodey1966 said there are plenty of cheap ways to create smoke for your clothes to give it a try. That's what I always recommend to skeptics when it comes to this. After that buying a cheap bee smoker or even the Scent Smoker (basically the same) just makes applying the smoke easier and less timely. There is no way a bag of hickory chips that lasts you most of a season costs more than a few bottles of scent killer, scent wafers, etc.. IMO nothing I have ever tried in the past be it carbon clothing, scent killers, etc. works like smoke does. Just make sure you are camoed well and have good cover and you will be surprised.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Thread Information