Thread: Cover or no cover...

Hybrid View

the past 2 seasons I have went as scent free as possible with no cover scent and had probably 2 of my worst seasons. so this year I decided to stick with all my scent free prep but go back to using fresh earth cover scent spray and wafers as well. I got the confirmation I needed Sunday afternoon to stick with the cover scent. I decided to hunt what I thought was a secluded area on an otherwise heavily hunted public property. well, after hiking all the way into the spot I had been scouting, I found a highway of orange marking tape on the trees leading to a climber that was fastened to the base of a tree that was 15 yards from where I intended to set up. obviously my spot wasn't secluded enough. I then hiked back out and was going to just throw in the towel and leave, but I decided to set up in a tree line in between to bean fields that were still bright green and stick it out for the evening. although I was in my climber, I wasn't able to get more than 6 ft off of the ground, but it was enough to give me a better vantage point across the fields. at this point I was sweating heavily and sure I was wasting my time, but I sprayed down with scent away fresh earth and clipped on my wafers and reluctantly followed through with my hunt. sure enough at about 7:15 I had a doe come out directly down wind of me and fed at 40yards for about 20-30 mins before moving off into a thicket on the field edge. she never gave me a shot but, just witnessing how calm she was, was success enough for me. I don't think she had a clue I was there. needless to say I will be sticking with the fresh earth cover scent for a while.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Smoke.......nothing I have ever tried works better.....not carbon clothing, scent killers, etc......

Thread Information