for about 15+ yrs I kept pretty close tabs on the deer wqhere I mainly hunted, runninga lot of cam's and spending a lot of hrs on the farm
and up here Normally, the velvet would be off on MOST bucks about thesecond week in Sept, so I always felt they must stop growing about 10 days before that, so say the last week in Aug, based on what I seen
I always seemed to have one or two bucks that held velvet a lot longer as well as a few that semed to shed sooner

which just lead me to think, and belive, that bucks start to grow there antler/stop growing them, based on when they are born, once born earlier do everything earlier, and one's born later do it all later

BUT then the curve ball
a few yrs I had some same bucks make it for 2 or 3 yrs, and had racks you couldn't miss/mess up with other bucks
and the same bucks grew and shed antlers at dfferent times of the yr
one buck one yr shed its antlers in Dec and the next yr didn't shed them till almost March
and seen it growing new one's in March one yr and the next not till like mid /Late April
so I have NO idea anymore, nothing makes sence to me about them??
weather has been close to the same here and so has food for them, so?? cannot factor that really into a reason for"X" to happen
Maybe stress?? but I cannot figure it out at all
I just take what I get LOL