Athletic Greens
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sw ohio mentor?

sw ohio mentor?

im located in lebanon and still trying to find a mentor to help me with some hunts if someones willing to help?
    i did manage to find a older gentleman that is willing to let me hunt his land in morrow ohio, about 15 acres total that he owns, majority of it is wooded land with some hills, and has 2 utility lines that runs threw the first third of his wood lots, so its a natural clearing, i did spot a feeder on his neighbors house and he said the guy does hunt once in a blue moon on his own property as well. according to the land owner there is deer every evening on his land where i probably would be setup and his grandsons did set up a small blind last year , but according to him they wont be hunting this year due to a wedding and wont have the time so sounds like i got super lucky this year with getting private late with no pressure. but well find out.

tomorrow i plan on putting up 2 trail cams and walk the woods to get familure with them and then go back in 2 weeks to get the cameras out to see what deer he has around his land and go from there.

Find a deer trail and put out a cheap red mineral block from tractor supply... place your stand nearby. Top it off every now and then with some type of sugar (molasses is what i've used). That will become a new favorite place for the deer... good luck!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

well the land owner does have molasses covered dried corn that is over a year old and said i could use it, its 2 large boxes full of the stuff, so was going to get a pvc pipe and just lie it up against a tree and make a small gravity feeder from it and setup the camera on it. i just gotta find the trails in the woods, as its not clearly vissable from the 5 min walk threw with the land owner yesterday while i was working LOL... i work for cable company and was servicing his cable, which is how i meet the guy :)

I would be careful about any corn that is old and had been coated with anything
    mold gorws on damp corn, its one of teh main reasons farmers store it and dry it like they do

feeding deer old corn that has any mold on it can kill them if they eat enough of it, same for other critters that eat it as well

just a heads up here!

10-4, would it be obvious if it had mold like normal food would? he has had it stored inside his barn wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag inside the boxes, he had no clue what it was and told him thats what it was.

That's the block I use buy 5 or so a year work decent for the price

yes and no, most times mold will be visable to the ye, be it grean or brown or even white, and like colors,
    BUT many times there can be mold and its just NOT yet to the surface to be seen?
    any corn that got wet and didn't get dried or used ina timely fashion, can have mold starting to grow on it
    deers have the ability to process a certian level of bad this and that, HAVE to to be able to survive at times
    but its never a goodn idea to feed them it if you can avoid it

IF it looks good, has no color chages or funky smells
    I would say OK
    but its your call,

as for Tractor supply store mineral blocks
    of every block I have triedup here I always got the best results with there's
    so I too like em!

so went out today to get some foot time in the woods and the landowner showed me around, and found 2 tree stands already in the woods, attached lower is the pictures of the stand. the one looks good so probably spend alot of time there, like the location and hes got alot of acorns already falling to the ground so deer should be abondance, i did put a mineral block out in the clearning where the power lines are and covered with molasses, also when i put the block out it did fall apart some so i did take that chunk and put out by the stand in the woods, also covered it with molasses, both have a deer cam near each of these locations and ill leave them up for 2 weeks. plan to go and pull the cameras and see whats going on with the deer and there movement. and probably relocate them.

here some eye candy for you all to see whats going on hopefully.

also forgot to mention, he said his grandson hunts here as well, and they was for him but hes getting married this saturday and probably wont be using it this season that hes knows of so theres a good chance ill be the only ones in the woods. which is a plus, getting super excited about this season. also said his grandson has seen multiple deer that walked directly under the stand threw a small obvious path and goes right to where i put the mineral block and molasses.

Thread Information