Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deer

deer

how many people are going to sit all day on opening day regardless of weather?
    I personally will be trying to sit the whole day unless it is hot out then i will only sit until around noon and the back out around 3 and sit the rest of the day

Probably not me because it will be hot here because it opens in two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reezen 7
    HHA B-Stinger
    Quad Ultra Pro Rest
    Axis arrows

sitting all day can always pay off, BUt me, in early season, deer are on pretty solid patterens and tend to only move in the evenings here or maybe very early in the AM if you can get close to a bedding area and beat them to it, but its a risky move and if you get busted, you might throw them off a pattrern
    so over the past efw yrs I only hunted evenings in early season, unless I had one moving pretty regular I could set up on and not worry about making my deer any smarter !
    BUT this yr??
    heck, haven't even bought a hunting lic, and don't think I am going to go out at all, till maybe feb, for a few coyote hunting contests I get in
    I gave up on hunting LOL
    best of luck to all though!

deer

I won't hunt all day til pre rut starts. I use the early season to try my luck on a mature buck while he is still on his feeding pattern. In fact, I don't even hunt much mornings in the early season. If I do it's from a stand on the opposite end of the farm. I hunt it just to see what's going on there. I usually try to pattern a buck before the season starts and try to seal the deal with in the first two weeks of the season. After that the big bucks on my property seem to lay low til late oct.

I haven't done an all day hunt in nearly 25 years. I sit longer in the rut but I still don't stay out all day.

In my opinion it's to hot the first couple Weeks of season to sit all day. Obviously not saying it can't pay off. But around me they are only moving right before dark or right before daylight, unless something spooks them. I'll mainly be hunting evenings until October or so.
    I live life at full draw....

I have hunted ohio the last 4 year's and have lucky enough to put 2 deer on the wall. I have killed both of them opening day of the season and within the first hour of day light. Might just be me, but don't fully understand yalls reasoning behind not hunting in the mornings. As for myself I will be there morning and evening. Good luck to all.

well I kinda explained my reasoning, where I hunted, the deer live and bed off property and in early season they tend to be in there beds, or off the property I am on by sun rise, so hubnting morning's here has been a lot of wasted time,
    IF I had deer bedding on property, and THOUGHT I could get inbetween food and bed before they went thru, I would have hunted mroe morning
    but I hunt food plots here, and well, in early season deer are very predictable
    so why risk altering that?? by getting busted o spooking deer going in in the AM
    that is my reasoning and I gather many others too!

any time your in the woods your odds are better than sitting inside LOL
    but some times going in/out in the am, just makes deer learn your after them too!
    I personally always rathered killing my buck in the fall, cooler temps, no worry about what to do with dead deer, if have to leave over night or just butchering it ASAP as in warm weather
    plus I like the capes better on rutted up bucks too LOL
    hunted the early season for time in the woods and seeing what is about, not that I wouldn't have shot a BIG one if it came by, just wasn't on the to do list so high
    killing/tagging out early is a doubl;e edged sword to me
    nice to be done and not so nice to be done!

I usually just hunt evenings on the early part of the season. I dont want to burn all of my away from home hunting capital with the wife before things get good in November when I make a semi long trip to my cabin to hunt and then I make another long trip to my cabin during firearms season. Plus my wife hunts in the early season so I am usually sitting with her in the evenings while she is attempting to get her first deer. Its much easier having her mom watch my daughter while I am out in the evening as well. Seems life dictates when I can hunt especially in the early season.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    I usually just hunt evenings on the early part of the season. I dont want to burn all of my away from home hunting capital with the wife before things get good in November when I make a semi long trip to my cabin to hunt and then I make another long trip to my cabin during firearms season. Plus my wife hunts in the early season so I am usually sitting with her in the evenings while she is attempting to get her first deer. Its much easier having her mom watch my daughter while I am out in the evening as well. Seems life dictates when I can hunt especially in the early season.
    Life does seem to dictate when we can do a lot of things
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post

Thread Information