Thread: How close is too close to camp

How close is too close to camp

I have 108 acres to hunt. Call it 70/30 crops to woods with a pond and a creek running through it. It's 2 1/2 hour drive to get to it so I'm jealous hearing from all you guys who walk out and hunt for a few hours during season.

I used to have a family member that lived 30 minutes from the farm so I could always stay there for a weekend when I found time to hunt. That house is now gone and I'd be forced to stay on the property if it was more than a day trip.

So my question as the title implies, could I camp in the corner of the woods and walk to my stand on the other side without spooking everything in there. I thought about leaving the tent up for the season but I'm not sure if it would last without being able to keep an eye on it. Hard without pictures I know but imagine an 80 acre square of crop land with a 28 acre woods attached to one end.

Thoughts?

I say sure you can do that, I however, would maybe be looking into finding a place to stay at
    when I hunt Ohio, its a 7+ hr drive for me, first started going ended up in hotels and then found cabin near by, that made the hunt that much more enjoyable
    became very good freidns with the cabin owner(let me stay for free a few days every yr)
    but the ability to take a shower and try to stay scent free, makes hunting more productive I say too!
    so there are perks to having a shower, even if it costs a little extra
    but get the budget is what it is, and have to work around what you can
    I also found that when I drive far, I try my best to make longer satys happen too, , to justify the costs of gas and time getting there, most my hunting in ohio had been 7 or 14 days stay's too
    so, that long, the cabin came in very handy, say if it rained or, got really cold

i have a pop-up camper i stay in, have had deer bed down less than 50 yds behind it, came out to check cams this year and jumped 3 deer they were bedded down between camper and stand, not saying mature bucks will do this, but if they get used to it i think you will be ok as long as you are not loud

In my opinion I think it's absolutely possible, but the biggest thing with sleeping in a tent is going to be scent control. Especially if you're sitting around a fire at night. Sneaking around shouldn't be a problem on that size property tho. Like lane said, a small pop up/small pull behind camper would make it so much easier, if that's possible.
    I live life at full draw....

Thread Information