Thread: Tree Stand Blinds

Tree Stand Blinds

In the early season before it gets too cold I use a tree stand. I moved it to a better location last week and now I have better view and shooting lanes. but with that I am more exposed. The area slopes down to a creek and the deer sometimes spot me as they look up when coming up the trail. I am thinking about a blind for my tree stand. and looking for recomendations for buying or ideas for making one? My stand is a one person with a shooting rail, thank you

I have used some pre bought one's and used to make my own before they were out on the market

to make my own I used to use PVC piping, to form a rail around me in my stands, I have made them for use with loc' on's as well as ladderstands
    I then get camo burlap and hang it over the PVC with zip ties
    most sets will last a few yrs, peninding how weather effects it,
    the advantage of making your own, is you can make it to the size you want, this way its not too tall or too short
    also, I find havinga roof is a great thing too, as you can also add burlap to hang down and help even more hide you, and well, if it rains or snow's it comes in handy too LOL

Roof's can be bought for treestands in kits too
    I have used these for most I have done, just cause there very fast and mount pretty solid
    BUT I lag bolt mine on, so on public lands that might be an issue, or just lands you are anot allowed to screw things into the tree's

I am trying 2 things this year -

1 - purchased chameleon bow blinds
    2 - strap 2x2s to either side of the tree I am in, drill some holes angled a bit upward, and insert branches from a used fake xmas tree to break up my outline

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I have used some pre bought one's and used to make my own before they were out on the market

to make my own I used to use PVC piping, to form a rail around me in my stands, I have made them for use with loc' on's as well as ladderstands
    I then get camo burlap and hang it over the PVC with zip ties
    most sets will last a few yrs, peninding how weather effects it,
    the advantage of making your own, is you can make it to the size you want, this way its not too tall or too short
    also, I find havinga roof is a great thing too, as you can also add burlap to hang down and help even more hide you, and well, if it rains or snow's it comes in handy too LOL

Roof's can be bought for treestands in kits too
    I have used these for most I have done, just cause there very fast and mount pretty solid
    BUT I lag bolt mine on, so on public lands that might be an issue, or just lands you are anot allowed to screw things into the tree's
    How did you attach it to tree or stand

I would recommend burlap for sure. Don't get one of the plastic (or plastic like) treestand skirts. My uncle put one on a double stand and it seems like deer kinda started to scoot around the stand after that. Plus after a year or 2 it started to tear and once that started, every time the wind thought about blowing it was pretty loud! Burlap lasts for a long time and it's silent. Whether you buy one or just take a piece and attach it with zip ties or something. I also like the using an old x-mas tree limbs for cover. I bought a couple 4 packs of "double branch holders" on Ebay for .99 each, all you do is mount to your stand and insert branches for cover. I think i'm going to shoot some small screws into the tree with them tho.
    I live life at full draw....

well I have to say, from my experience, the store made plastic one's last the longest over burlap, and in the past 6-7 yrs my store made one's hav been out, no isue's with scareing deer at all
    biggest issue with any stand IMO of getting ot causing deer to be wary of it, is if they bust you a few times in it, from then on, odds are most deer will start to look at it or be nervous about a stand they know people hide in, and that won't matter what material you wrap abot it

IF its flapping in the wind or making noise? that might cause them some worry's
    but in time they adjust to that too, from my experence, heck for yrs I used to hang things to do just that in the off season to get der used to things moving up in the tree, worked great for me too!, even hung a dummy in a few for a while
    and some of teh stands after that I could do jumping jacks in them and dder never paid no attention to me while hunting??

As for how do I add the PVC to tree stands, rather simple, I use bot stainless steel hose clamps and plastic zip ties

the best way to build one out of PVC is if you can build it while the stand is NOT up, and then mock it up to where you think you will want everything, and make it so you have a little to trim once the stand is up
    but I have built them while a stand is up Too, just gets a little harder to hold things in place while mocking it up
    on ladderstands its the easiest once up, over a loc on, as you have more levels to hold onto
    normally when I do a loc on that is up, I take a ladder in with me, just to make life easier and safer
    how I mount to the tree, all depens on shape of tree and such, but I have used branches to clamp/tie the PVC to or even used screw in steps to mount it to, as I like to have elbow room
    things to think about when building a blind frame , is making sure you have enough clearance for your bow/X box, as when your at full draw, make sure there is room for the limb to extend after the shot, as if that limb isn't allowed enough room, bad things can happen
    seen a guy shooting off his deck hit his bottom limb off teh rail and the string came off and all sorts of crazy happened and cost a bunch to correct, so I always used to take my bow with me, and get into any expected shooting positions, and make sure I had it out in front of me far enough to be out of the way
    BUT!! doing this many times can mean giving up possibe CLOSE range shots due to it being in the way for sub 5 yrd shots due to angle and well the blind then in the way

you also have to think about ONCE you build the blind railing, HOW your getting into the tree stand
    on ladder stands, I tend to have it so I climb up under it and thru it right in front
    on loc on's
    I used a bungee cord to allow it to have some flex so I could push down on railing and climb over
    but it is something to think about

next, WHite PVC sticks out like crazy, even when covered with Camo Burlap(which fades due to the sun UV in about 2-3 yrs, so expect to replace about that often)
    I used to build and then paint
    but can tell you from experience its a ton better to paint the PVC off the stand first, than up a tree
    I found Wally world flat black to be great and just .99 cents a can
    has no shine to it at all, and blends in nice under the burlap
    a few yrs back I did a tread here on a few of my stands I did, too, if you want to look for it??

I will be pulling all my stands soon , due to loosing the far I have them at
    IF I remember when I am there , I will try and take a few pic's before I tear them down for you for some idea's if you want
    ONLY have ladderstands up, as all my loc on's come down every yr and this yr didn't put any up, due to legal fight for the farm(which I sadly loss)
    so no pic's of them?
    feel free to ask me any ?'s you want, I did a bunch of stands like this!

Thread Information