Congratulations! If this year is truly THE year, it will most likely be the first of MANY. I started 5 years ago, and became hooked immediately. Started with a shotgun, then crossbow, and now compound. Crossbow is a great place to start. Not one for recommending "my brand" over another, but I went with a Wicked Ridge crossbow because I found out that their HQ (10pt Archery) is close by in Suffield ( I am also from near Akron) and I felt like if I ever had an issue, I could walk it in. Never have had one - my 13 year old now has inherited it. Not much land up here, so we go to Belmont county because my family has a cabin there - makes a nice camp and they have a lot of deer. As for learning - I have learned a great deal from this forum ( and others), but I will say ( and I know I will take some heat for it ) I have learned the most from watching hunting shows on OUTDOOR Channel. Many hunters complain that they hunt private honey holes and it's not "real" hunting. This is partially true. I hunt public land, and have to work much harder than the made for TV hunts depict, but I have learned a ton nonetheless. This time of year it's mostly hunting shows. I tivo about 4-5 of my favorites and watch them on the weekends. I also subscribe to a couple of magazines ( great source too) but I just gave my "library" to a neighbor who is also learning. Nothing beats a friend who can teach you how to scout... how to hunt the wind... etc... Like anything you will learn more and more each year. I am still very much a student, but got my first two deer down last year! Still have meat in the freezer. Best of luck to you and welcome to the best "fraternity" out there!