Thread: Best bullet type for deer hunting?

Best bullet type for deer hunting?

I am doing some bullet shopping for my new deer hunting gun. I have narrowed my choices down to BTHP, NBT, and TSX. I was wondering if any one had any helpful info to help me make my final decision

What caliber and weight bullet are you planning on using? I personally have had good success with hornady BTHP 165 grain bullets out of my 30-06 and I use 165gr NBT's in my 300 win mag. Both perform well and do the job. I shoot my 30-06 a bit more than my 300 win mag that is why I shoot the hornady BTHP to save a little cash. I primarily hunt deer with my 300 win mag and the NBT do a nice job. Really you cant go wrong with any of your choices unless you plan on shooting extended ranges of 500-800+ yards. Up until 5 years ago when I started reloading I only used remington core lokt rounds. If you havent seen them there is nothing elegant about then most of the bullet tips are some what deformed but they worked every time for me and I put down a lot of game over the years with those "cheap" bullets. The core lokt had pretty good accuracy. So in the end dont over think the bullet choice or reloading. For deer any of your choices will work and work well it just matters how much you want to pay. I reload so I can build a premium bullet so that is why I use the NBTs they are a nice balance of price and are more than capable.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information