Thread: 2013 Plots

2013 Plots

I posted thread last fall reference plots. The 2 acre of Power PLant bombed from spring planting, we overseaded with co-op clover and came up great. Did several acres of big n beasty frigid forage, came up great. Also planted Biologic Maximum close to it and deer ate frigid forage over maximum. Tecomate monster mix was ate to ground, spring green up is excellent this year. Additionally planted Real World clover/chic 1 acre. It was marginal at best as a fall planting but blown up this spring. I was stuck in Arizona last fall so didn't get to hunt home but will be there this year. Based on establishing clover already we are throwing in a few acres of big n beasty. Note there was also 9 acres standing corn all season, hoping the local farmer doesn't was to replant tis year.

On my folks 70 acre hardwood farm I will be putting in 1 acre big n beasty with winter wheat. Anyone ever throw in clover with brassica/wheat blend???? I picked up acre if imperial but not sure if should mix in, any ideas?

As far as mixing in clover in with winter wheat or big and beasty(an guessing this is like a turnip type mix) the answer will be based on this
    those to seed mixeswinter wheat/turnips, DON"T get mowed, where as clover does better with a few mowings, mowing clover keeps it tender, and desirable to deer and like critters, due to the more tender it is, the better(they claim) tasting it is and the easier it is for deer to digest it, thus why they prefer it cut
    mowing clover will also help in a HUGE way to keep weeds at bay, or will for sure help keep clover the main crop
    Clover always looks GREAT in early spring to mid summer, then as weed seeds blow all over hell from??? And thus landing in clover plots, manymany times without mowing or spraying a clover plot can be taken over, as fast or slow, pending on clover plots take/stand, and any mowing or spraying of course
    but weeds grow fater than clover, thus why there a pain in the ass to deal with
    adding clover to a wheat/turnip plot, removes the ability to mow and maybe even spray that said plot?
    so adding clover can be done, BUT at same time, you will have less tools to use to maintain that plot
    PLUS, wheat and turnips are seasonal plantings, so every yr they need to be replaced
    and clover is an annual, so your more or less wasting clover(to a point) clover will add free nitrogen to the soil, which is never a bad thing, but clover seed isn't cheap either really so??
    that's your budget's call on seeding over wheat/turnips

Thread Information