Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turkey season

Yeah and a short day today so more time at the house probably have to make some baits for fishing and finish up a few other things

It finally happened!!

So I went outside early this morning to work on the tractor, was out there for maybe 10 minutes and heard a turkey gobble across the road about 5 times within a minute or so. Keep in mind I had no intention on going turkey huntin this morning but hearing this I said h*ll with it i'm setting up. So I ran in threw on my camo, grabbed my gun and vest and ran to the field. I got my decoys out and started calling. I had the bird across the road gobbling for about 10-15 minutes and he kinda just stopped...but not me I continued calling. I heard a gobble come from back behind me a ways out but didn't think much of it. Next thing I know I hear something walking through the woods from behind me. Well I had to spin around and I did so just in time, no sooner than I did and I had 3 Jakes stepping through the woods hot and heavy locked on the decoys. As soon as the first 2 stepped into the field I unleashed some lead! Dropped the lead bird in his tracks. Couldn't believe it I wasn't set up 30-40 minutes and just shot my first turkey ever! Isn't a monster by any means but I'll take it, About 15-20 lbs and a 3 inch beard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140504_082454.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	10554
    I live life at full draw....

Saturday was a slow day at the cabin only heard one bird and we where on the wrong side of the creek from one another. I did get permission on a 375 acre coop farm for Monday and Tuesday. This morning was wild i saw 11 birds and a deer. There was so many birds sounding off it was tough to keep track. All stayed out of range but tomorrow is another day and i have high hopes
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Way to go zachc

Congrats on the first bird

Me and my buddy went out to give it one more shot this morning (Sunday) before season ended. I didn't even make it to my set before I heard Turkeys gobbling! I had 3 Toms gobbling back and forth for about 30 minutes but they were a couple hundred yards out. They, and 3 hens- eventually work out from behind the treeline they we hidden behind into a small clearing. And we could see them struttin around in the morning light gobbling their heads off. We talked to them for about 1 1/2-2 hours here and there before they walked around the back side of the woods. Was a big disappointment that they wouldn't come off those hens but man was it exciting to see them at full strut! Oh yeah also saw 5 deer on the property today so that's even better!
    I live life at full draw....

Sounds like you are hooked zach. Once a bird is henned up you usually cannot get him to leave her. But if you can convince then hen to come in hen you are in business. I had the same thing happen last time I was out. I saw 15 birds all henned up and I couldn't get them to come in but they sure are fun to watch.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information