Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun opinion?

Shotgun opinion?

I just started to bowhunt last season. I used a bow through ML and gun weeks. That being said, I'm in the market for a semiauto12 gauge. I am thinking about the stoeger 3500. Has anyone have any experience with it?

It's in my budget and it feels better than the mossy 930 & 935.

I plan on using it for deer, turkey, ducks, geese, & plinking.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Jeremy
    Using Tapatalk

there decent guns
    I had a gun store for many yrs and sold over 17,000 guns, so I have a little experience with guns LOl
    BUT if I was to recommend a shotgun, I would maybe suggest a remington 11/87, and just a 3" model
    my reasoning is, you can get one, and then get a slug barrel
    as the stoger you listed doesn't offer a slug barrel, and to be honest the 3 1/2 '' really isn't needed unless your a super die hard duck/goose hunter
    the ammo costs a lot more, and most guns that shoot 3.5's in semi's can be rather picky on what they wil cycle well in 2 3/4" and then 3" rounds, the one's you ill use most often(beibng 2 3/4" one's)
    the arvantage of having a longer barrel for ducks geese/ small gam
    and then a shorter one for slugs, can be a big help in hitting targets and swinging the gun
    MOST all modern guns are made rather well
    but the major names, you can find assories a lot easier, there are a more parts out there for guns like rem and Mossberg than maybe all the rest together
    here is a link for a used one in Ohio, that comes with 2 barrels
    its almost impossible to wear out a shotgun for the average guy, they just cannot afford the amount of rounds it would take, so if it looks good, not signs of anyone boggering on it with screw drivers, odds are its a fine working gun
    don't be scared of used shotguns
    rifles can be more picky on buying used, but that's another subject

http://www.armslist.com/posts/290621...ed-slug-barrel

also one last thing, many times a yrs the bigger chain stores liek, Cabela's gander MT, DIcks, and so on, run sales on 11/87's
    seen them many times for like $ 499-529 new
    but extra barrels run about 250-350 or so
    so the gun I listed its a little high to me in price, but new know what a guy will take if you make an offer
    just showed you that there are combo's out there for sale used, that might be worth looking for
    same can be had in Mossberg's too!
    but I'm more of a remington guy LOl

I initially was looking at a remington. I heard some bad stuff & issues. I may have to reconsider. Thank you for the opinion.
    Using Tapatalk

Sold a ton of remingtons, and own many that seen 10's of thousnads of rounds, and still work just fine
    have replaced some O rings over the yrs, mine are 25 + yrs old some
    but never any issue's
    benelli and browning and beretta all make good shotguns as well
    but again, mossberg and remington, you will find more things, barrels and stocks and so on at better prices

Also, there is nothing wrong with a pump shotgun either, and there a lot cheaper to get into, can buy a couple for what a new semi can run you

I hunted many years with a remington auto 5 sportsman 12ga. I liked using an auto but you tend to want to always do a quick 2nd shot. Unfortunetly it was stolen. Last year I bought a brand new Mossberg 20ga pump in wood & blue. I like the 20 better than the 12 as far as the kick and I would not hesitate using it for deer (if I hunted deer with a gun).
    Like MRBB said there are much more possibilites to customize a rem 870 or moss 500..... if you stay with 12ga

As for recoil, a semi will absorb some of the recoil due to how many work, using the charge to cycle the action, thus sucking up some of the recoil/power of the charge that makes it then to the shooter
    and a pump can be as fast as a semi too, yrs back winchester use to run adds proving it can be as fast or faster than some semi's of the era
    advantage of the semi is less recoil, and not having to loose sight picture as much, as working a pump can cause
    but both off up very fast second shots

I have a stoeger M2000 and it fit the budget at the time. I will be selling it to my dad because now that I shoot a lot of the clay sports the gun just doesnt fit right and the fit and finish are OK but not great. My wife shoots a benelli and really likes it and it is a very nice gun. For what you are planning on doing though I would be looking at something that would take 2 3/4" and 3" shells no need for 3 1/2" unless you like to punish yourself. I've never been a big remington fan but they sell a ton of guns and at that price point you would be hard pressed to find anything better with the support available.

Personally I have turned into a browning guy and plan to spend over 1k on my next semi-auto but I plan to use it for everything and I shoot a few thousand rounds each summer on the clays range so I need something that will hold up to that punishment. Plus locally there are plenty of parts and accessories for browning guns. Not so much for the benelli/franchi/stoeger guns. Also an inertia gun like a benelli/franchi/stoeger is going to have more recoil than a gas operated semi. I believe the newer browning and berreta semi's dont use O-rings anymore either.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Recoil isn't an issue. I'm a big guy. At 6'5" & 220#, I can handle about any shotgun easily.
    Using Tapatalk

Thread Information