Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabin in progress

Cabin in progress

Last September the wife and I bought 88 acres in Meigs county. It is raw land and backs up to 2500 acres of public land. My goal is to turn it into a whitetail paradise. I hunted it very little last season due to the fact that I was hunting a 160 class main frame 8 at home which I ended up getting in late season with my bow.

So far on the Ohio property I put in a 1 acre food plot and a gate to keep people out. It wasn't the handiest to hunt because I didn't have anywhere to sleep unless I drove my motorhome out and parked it there. I had the idea when purchasing it that I would put up a pole barn and make some living quarters inside. Another idea I had was buying a shed and making it into a cabin. Buy chance I mentioned prefab shed/cabin to my brother and he said he knew where there was a cabin for sale. Turns out that he knew an Amish guy who just got shunned by the church who built a cabin to live in less than a year ago. He was renting the land under the cabin for a dollar a day from the church deacon.

I went and looked at the cabin a few weeks ago and really liked it. It is all sawmill cut hemlock. There isn't any store bought lumber in it. I struck a deal with the guy and gave him a cash down payment with the understanding I would have a month to get it dismantled and hauled away. The first Saturday came along with some snow so I pushed it off. The following Monday the ex Amish guy called me and said someone broke a window in it and left him a note that they wanted him out. He also told me that the amish wanted to burn it down so I figured I better get it out of there asap. I assembled a crew and we got it taken down and stacked on my trailer that Friday and Saturday. I was relieved when we pulled out of there. Only one Amish guy came up and said anything to us. He wanted me to settle a debt that the ex amish guy left but I said that was between them.

This past weekend I ran out to the property to get a building permit and I hope to start the build in the beginning of May. I'm planning to run out this Friday to get sewer permit and meet with excavator and block layer for the foundation.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabin.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	10542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	10543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	10544

well sounds like you have a good base plan
    as I was eading this, I kept thinking, where I used to stay in Ohio, all the cabins in the area were all Amich build's and the prices were super reasonable, made me wish they were closert o me here in PA<> I would have had them build me one here L
    and was going to suggest you try to contact them and see if they would build you one LOL
    so you beat me tyo that idea, buy finding one pre built
    looks like a nice cabin too
    and my advice to you on your new lands would be to post the crap out of it where it borderes the public lands,
    like a sign every 20+ ft, but the aluminum sigh's they last 20+ yrs, and can be had pre signed too
    ( http://www.vosssigns.com/OA1.htm )

as hard work on building a great hunting spot, don't leave anyone the chance of saying they didn't know it was private
    I get that excuss here all the time and I even have it posted like crazy!
    but have to think it stops some!, and Ohio, the sate will help you, unlike here in PA

and last, how about a pic of that buck you killed?? sounds like a dandy of a buck!
    best of luck on it all!

Stan,
    It is one heck of a dandy buck.

Jim,
    Sounds like an pretty interesting experience with the Amish. That is a really nice looking cabin. Now you have a second home away from home. Let me know if you need any help. Hope the rest of your winter wasn't too bad.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Trevor,
    I'm glad winter is over, I have so many projects to do here in Pa and in OH. Hope you'll get to go up to my cabin to hunt with me sometime.

Stan,
    Ask and you shall receive. I shot him 1/3/13 when the temps were in the single digits with 20-30 mph winds. It is the first time I ever shot a deer while wearing gloves. I had to stand motionless for 20 minutes with bow ready to draw before he allowed me a shot. Even with gloves on my hands felt like they were frostbit till I could get shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big8.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	10545

Nice buck and nice cabin

yup that's a great looking buck for sure and one I bet you will never forget
    congrats

What a stud! Love the cabin as well. Looks like you got yourself a little honey hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice buck and cabin

Jim,
    I hope I will be able to make it out there with you as well. I hope the permitting for your cabin goes well. Hopefully they dont make it a painful slow process.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Part 2:
    I went back out to Ohio this past weekend to start getting the site prepped. I decided I am going to dig a daylight basement and put a garage door in so that I can have a 16 x 20 garage under the cabin to store a 4 wheeler, treestands and any other clumsy gear that I don't want to cart back and forth to PA.

My skidloader has been broken down for several months and I have been scrambling to get it fixed so I can haul it out to Ohio. I finally finished it up about 2 pm Saturday afternoon. I talked my brother Kurt into riding out with me since he hasn't been to the property yet. He doesn't hunt so I have to bribe him with money. While I was working on the skidloader I asked Kurt if he would mind running my truck and trailer over to the tire store to get 3 of the tires replaced that had some dry rot. He precedes to look at the tires and tell me I'd be throwing my money out because the tires have plenty of life. Well we didn't even make it 15 min down the road and had a blow out right in the middle of the concrete jungle in Harrisburg. The concrete jungle is the name the locals here aptly gave to the maze of highways coming together in Harrisburg. It took us about 11 minutes to throw the spare on as cars and tractor trailers whizzed by 3 feet away at 70 mph. Other than that the trip went smooth as my worked over Cummins dragged the trailer over the mountains in Maryland.

We got to the property just after midnight today. My brother put up his tent and filled his air mattress up. I threw my sleeping back in back of truck and slept under the stars. I slept pretty good but my throat got sore from cold air. We got moving around 7 am. Todays objective was to clear trees out of the site cabin will sit in. I left the Cat out in Ohio and I'll head back Thursday night with my Kubota tractor with backhoe attachment.

First pic is right before leaving my house in PA. Second pic is clearing spot in Ohio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140503_154236_267.jpg   IMG_20140504_105043_805.jpg  

Thread Information