Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014/2015 season

2014/2015 season

Ok so now that hunting and outdoor shows are up and runnning
    anyone booking any trips to out of state placds?
    And if so what for
    anyone after anything besides deer and elk??

Not going out of state but I've already been talking about what we are going to try next season up at our cabin.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well I hear you, I normally would have hunts planned 2 yrs in advance
    but haven't even planned a out of state hunt now in 3 yrs
    still like hearing what and where other plan to go, and how they madeout
    even like to hear about old hunts they did
    and I always felt sharing hunt info can be good for fellow hunters here on the site
    I know over the yrs I did some great hunts out of state, some were some real good deals too
    I am sure many folks don't realize how cheap a great hunt can be

I hear ya. I thought I wanted to do elk but that seems like an awful lot of work once you get one down. Now I want to take my 300 win mag to Wyoming or somewhere like that for mule deer. Not that I dont want to try for an elk i would just need to go with someone that has been there done that before.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I'm in the proccess of planning a elk hunt to colorado. It's going to be a do it your self hunt. Backpacking in and staying for a few days. I'm getting older and realize that I won't be able to do that much longer, so if not this yr it will be next. Colorado has a hunt planner available for free. Just make a call and start the proccess. Your right nomad, its going to be alot of work if I get one down. I sure would like to have that problem. The area I'm looking at is the grand mesa state park in the mid south west corner of the state. Has anyone else been? Any info would be great.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

sounds like a great trip there Griz, never hunted in Grand mesa area, but did snowmobile in that area many yrs back, every place was at had big elk mounted on there walls in store and places to eat, so I bet there was a lot of elk near by

best advice I can tell you is start walking hills now with a pack on you back with weight in it
    do that now till you go, and you will be very happy you did, even if you don't kill
    thin air just walking can get to you a lot more than you think
    same goes for having a good pack, once a elk is down, a good pack can make a pack out more work or less
    I have used my alaskan 2 cabela's pack a few times, worked well for me, liked all the adjustments I could make to get it to fit nice and snug, and the rifle holder was a must at times in AK on my hunts
    but guessing your doing a bow hunt?
    guess the bow holder is a great idea on a pack too, or a good bow sling!
    and good glass, highly recommend good glass for any out west hunt, saves you a lot on eye strain/migranes!

The getting in shape thing is very inportant. A guys here who has been says it will make or brake the trip if your not in shape. I've been looking at eberlestock back packs. The X2 and blue widow. I hoping I can get one on ebay thats second hand. And your right, I will be bow hunting. There's and elk farm here in NH where I hunt on the other side of the road. So I have heard them bugle. I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to bow hunting. It will have to be on the job training so to speak. If I remember right, Seeker BP elk hunted out west last years.

yeah there was a few guys here that made a few trips out there, most always had a great time, even killed a few elk too, or came real close
    the whole part of a big trip is in the details, better you prepare the better your odds
    but the most important thing I always felt was to have fun, if your going with anyone, make sure you get along really good in good and bad times, or it can be a bad trip real fast
    a treadmill can be your friend, same as just walking up every hill you can
    thin air is just something you cannot prep for, some folks get very bad migranes real fast, its a sign of altitude sickness, so keep that in mind, some folks can get it even as low as say 5-6,000 ft
    drink lots of water too
    one good thing about buying a top line pack is, even if you only use it once, in todays world you can turn about and sell it and get most of your money back, so its like renting a pack almost
    just something to think about
    are you planning on doing a full pack hunt, or staying at a hotel and or cabin, and hunting in every day?
    some times semi guided hunts are cool ways too, get you in some better spots faster some times, and prices can be not so far off
    this up coming harrisburg show is a great place to go and talk to folks in area's you like too, many state depts are there trying to get folks, and can be great tools to have in your book
    get numbers and names, and hey, never know what a game warden here might tell you on where to try!

My plan is all back packing, no motel or cabins. Even if is were flush with money, I would want to try and do it myself. I do understand it will cut down on the odds. The hunt planner already worned me about altitude. I would be hunting in the 6 to 10 thousand ft area. Yah, I need to lose some weight, and grow my lung capacity. It would be good for me even if I don't end up going. I've always wanted to go to harrisburg but between money/time it tough. We have some big show here, like the Big E that I go to and enjoy. Only a one day commitment and gas money.

well I hear you, I always tried to do self guided hunts through out the yrs
    only did two fully guided hunt in all my yrs, due to it beiing the law, up in Alberta
    and even them hunts, I made it so I had more input, where I went up a day early to scout sites, and all they did was drop me off and pick me up at dark LOL, not sure how that is a guided hunt, but was the law when I was there
    and one indian reservation hunt I did in SD, where there were no boundry lines, so hired him to show me where I coul;dn't hunt, so I didn't get introuble LOL
    its always more fun to do it yourself
    but some times I think,with all the money and time, to do a far trip, maybe a jump start isn't a bad idea, all the more wo with gas costs these days

and as for harrisburg, , its far for you for sure, but it might be an investment in your trip
    I would look at airfare, and save driving, as gas isn't cheap these days, and never know what a trip could run that way
    plus its a great show all the same
    and getting in shape always helps on a hunt, even for deer close to home LOL

I'd even be looking into joining a forum in CO, some place never know what good info you can learn, but as always, take info with a grain of salt!
    north american hunting club isn't a bad place to get info on other states, and its a decent magazine they put out with memebershi too!

Thread Information