Thread: 2014/2015 season

Hybrid View

2014/2015 season

Ok so now that hunting and outdoor shows are up and runnning
    anyone booking any trips to out of state placds?
    And if so what for
    anyone after anything besides deer and elk??

Not going out of state but I've already been talking about what we are going to try next season up at our cabin.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well I hear you, I normally would have hunts planned 2 yrs in advance
    but haven't even planned a out of state hunt now in 3 yrs
    still like hearing what and where other plan to go, and how they madeout
    even like to hear about old hunts they did
    and I always felt sharing hunt info can be good for fellow hunters here on the site
    I know over the yrs I did some great hunts out of state, some were some real good deals too
    I am sure many folks don't realize how cheap a great hunt can be

I hear ya. I thought I wanted to do elk but that seems like an awful lot of work once you get one down. Now I want to take my 300 win mag to Wyoming or somewhere like that for mule deer. Not that I dont want to try for an elk i would just need to go with someone that has been there done that before.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I'm in the proccess of planning a elk hunt to colorado. It's going to be a do it your self hunt. Backpacking in and staying for a few days. I'm getting older and realize that I won't be able to do that much longer, so if not this yr it will be next. Colorado has a hunt planner available for free. Just make a call and start the proccess. Your right nomad, its going to be alot of work if I get one down. I sure would like to have that problem. The area I'm looking at is the grand mesa state park in the mid south west corner of the state. Has anyone else been? Any info would be great.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

sounds like a great trip there Griz, never hunted in Grand mesa area, but did snowmobile in that area many yrs back, every place was at had big elk mounted on there walls in store and places to eat, so I bet there was a lot of elk near by

best advice I can tell you is start walking hills now with a pack on you back with weight in it
    do that now till you go, and you will be very happy you did, even if you don't kill
    thin air just walking can get to you a lot more than you think
    same goes for having a good pack, once a elk is down, a good pack can make a pack out more work or less
    I have used my alaskan 2 cabela's pack a few times, worked well for me, liked all the adjustments I could make to get it to fit nice and snug, and the rifle holder was a must at times in AK on my hunts
    but guessing your doing a bow hunt?
    guess the bow holder is a great idea on a pack too, or a good bow sling!
    and good glass, highly recommend good glass for any out west hunt, saves you a lot on eye strain/migranes!

The getting in shape thing is very inportant. A guys here who has been says it will make or brake the trip if your not in shape. I've been looking at eberlestock back packs. The X2 and blue widow. I hoping I can get one on ebay thats second hand. And your right, I will be bow hunting. There's and elk farm here in NH where I hunt on the other side of the road. So I have heard them bugle. I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to bow hunting. It will have to be on the job training so to speak. If I remember right, Seeker BP elk hunted out west last years.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

well I hope you both get out west some day, the trips I took have all been great memories, even if I didn't kill what I hoped for
    heck, my last trip there I stayed an exrta week, just traveling about the rockies, think I had more fun doing that than hunting LOL
    WY and CO. are both awesome states with great scenery
    hunted mule deer only in SD and alberta
    still never killed one, did pass on a lot of nice bucks, hoping for a big one, and ate tag soup, but always on combo hunts, and came home with a whitetail
    combo hunts help make more chances, but tags can get pricy
    looking back now, I do wish I took more trips out west,, and like places
    best time to do them is when your body is in better/ younger shape, and you have time to pay things off if need be LOL

Thread Information