Thread: Looking for New Compound

Hybrid View

Looking for New Compound

Hello everyone, new to the site and seems like a lot of knowledgeable people out there. I am currently shooting a Matthews Drenalin (won it at a whitetails Unlimited dinner 2 yrs ago). I like the bow, but just curious to how far the technology has come in just a couple of years. From my understanding, Mathews stopped making that bow around 2010. I am up for any suggestions other than traditional bows, and I don't mean any disrespect, I just enjoy my compound bow. I was also informed that this bow when it was in its prime was an 800.00 bow. I am shooting at 65 lbs and draw is 27.5. Any info would be helpful, and if you guys need anymore Info from me please ask. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

To be honest IMO, the bow you have, if you shoot it, is as fine as what's out there
    sure there are improvements here and there, but most don't justify to me upgrading
    I mean most bow, top line all have very close speeds, and sound levels, and weights haven't changed a ton
    my old 2002 pse nitro is a 4 lb bow,and came at 330 fps (if memepry is correct) like many other bows in this age group
    tops shelf bows today get faster, but they do so mostly with shorter brace lenghts,, meaning to me, they just made longer cycles, to get the extra fps, but doing that makes shooting form a lot more important to shoot them well, and makes smaller errors, cause bigger groups or misses
    I mean if you just want a new bow, by all means buy one, or if current bow, doesn't feel right or fit you well, sure
    but to say you need a more modern bow due to improvements, I think wouldn't be a good investment over what you have now
    there have again been a few smaller improvements, but IMO, weights speeds, and sound levels have been pretty darn close to a stand still for yrs now
    how many times can you re invent a round wheel?? They all roll Lol

Thanks mrbb, but keep them coming.

Yea I agree with mrbb. You bow is fine as far as technology goes. There is a lot of hype out there that make people think about getting a new bow or even changing brands. It you just want a new bow get one but if yours works good and fits you ok. It's good. Maybe try minor tweaking of your bow to get it to perform how you would like. Take it to a now shop and explain your concerns. Or maybe try to upgrade your accessories ex: rest, sights or even new string. Good luck with you bow
    STROTHER INFINITY
    RIPCORD REST
    TRUGLOW SIGHT
    ICS BEMAN ARROWS
    TRU-FIRE RELEASE
    28.5 DRAW 65LBS

I shoot and 2006 Hoyt Trycon and feel no need to up grade. Yah, I get the urge too every once and while but the price tags stops me. Your bow is 4 yrs newer than mine. If your flush with money, sure, but I don't think your going to gain alot.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

You guys are making me feel better about the bow I already have, and also taking away the "want" to buy a new bow. I don't know which feeling I like better, but I know which feeling is cheaper. Lol I shot a couple of bows tonight at the local shop, Mathews creed xs and the new Hoyt for 2014, forgot the name of it. Both bows were 899.00. Definitely faster and quieter, but not really necessary, unless you have an extra grand laying around, which I do not. Just needed to get out and shoot a couple of newer bows to convince myself that my bow is just fine, right? I think.. ha

I think you talked yourself out of needing a new bow
    and odds are, you really don't
    10-15-20fps, doesn't make a huge difference from 10 to 30 yards or more, sure there nice to have, but surely not needed
    bow makers keep coming out with new models and such, cause its a business, if everyone kept a bow for 30 yrs they would all go broke
    its also the reason there is a bigger mark up on bows over guns!
    or surely used to when I sold both
    a modern bow should last you 15 = plus yrs with just replacing strings as need be, and taking care of it
    till they break the 400 fps mark, I don't really see the need of up grading for most NON sponcered shooters/hunters
    as long as a bow fits you is set up right, and you shoot it well, save your money and enjoy what you have, till you feel like adding a spare bow, or just like spending money on a new addition

Like everyone else has said if you like the bow shoot it and hunt with it. When I started shooting I thought I needed a new bow all the time. I always bought used or discontinued because I just couldn't stomach the new prices. I started with a used mathews switchback xt then I got a used '08 hoyt pro elite for indoor league. I finally got a discontinued '08 Hoyt Katera XL that I picked up in 2010 and have been hunting with since then. I have zero desire for a new bow. Heck it took me 2 years to get a deer with the "new" bow. I still like it and plan to continue to use it. Just the other day I finally sold my pro elite since I dont do much shooting for indoor leagues these days. I plan to use my katera again next year and probably the year after that. I dont know what would make me get a new bow but I haven't found much compelling new technology that I "need". I have a 27" draw and I get plenty of speed out of this old bow that the deer I have shot with this bow from 15-35 yards with a mechanical bh haven't gone more than 40-50 yards and all have have partial or complete pass threws. The drenalin is a good bow.

I do at times get the urge to replace my bow maybe get something with a shorter ATA since 35" is a pain in my summit climber at times but I just cant justify it since now I hunt mostly out of ladder stands where it is a non issue.

Plus with the cost of a new bow which has a depreciation like a new freaking car it is hard to justify. Especially for me when you can get a new high quality rifle for the same price or less and the gun will have a much better resale value especially in 5-10 years .
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thanks guy, all of your comments and suggestions are well taken. I think I just needed to hear someone else tell me "you don't need a new bow," and you guys did it! Unless some crazy deal comes along that I manage to get one half off or something nuts, I think I'll keep shooting what I have. Thanks again.

Yes sir, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ever needs fixed, be sure to check out some PSE bows :-)

Thread Information