Athletic Greens
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: So who's still out there hunting?

  1. #41
    Senior Member Big_Holla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTheFall View Post
    I did take a management buck on one of our properties along with my wife also taking a management buck. Also took out 2 does. So not a total loss. I had a close call with the 170" I was targeting. So I know I am definitely in the right area for him next season!!!!!
    Great to hear!! Hopefully you can find his sheds this winter/spring so you have even more history with him when you wrap your hands around his antlers this fall!!
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison


  2. #42
    Senior Member hortontoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTheFall View Post
    I had a close call with the 170" I was targeting. So I know I am definitely in the right area for him next season!!!!!
    I remember thinking the same thing last September. I had my target buck all but tagged. No such luck. After chasing the same buck for three seasons I learned one thing. Be prepared for failure. But, if ol Splitter survived again this season, I know the buck I will be pursuing again next fall.

    Best of luck chasing the buck you want. Have fun and I hope an opportunity comes your way.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Big_Holla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Posts
    7,165
    Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    I remember thinking the same thing last September. I had my target buck all but tagged. No such luck. After chasing the same buck for three seasons I learned one thing. Be prepared for failure. But, if ol Splitter survived again this season, I know the buck I will be pursuing again next fall.

    Best of luck chasing the buck you want. Have fun and I hope an opportunity comes your way.
    You certainly have history with him Dick. As bucks get older they tend to change habits that only benefit you as a hunter. So let's hope this year will be his slip-up year. Maybe he's got you pegged, maybe not but perhaps this year you should mix it up a bit and have alternate spots, perhaps deadfalls or other hides, that you can slip into to catch him off guard.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison


  4. #44
    Senior Member hortontoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Posts
    2,004
    First things first. I've got to catch him on a trail camera to be sure he survived again. I've got my fingers crossed, but only time will tell. I should have had him by now anyways. I feel good just knowing he lived in my area the last three years. I do have some plans that may up my odds if he is around next fall.

    I can't wait til spring to get busy. My wife retires this month which is a big plus. I always felt bad leaving her at home when I left for a couple days to hunt. This coming fall she will be able to go to the cabin with me. I'm sure I will hunt more often now that I don't have to leave her at home.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Big_Holla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Posts
    7,165
    That's good stuff Dick, enjoy that retirement with here and live it up doing the things you both love.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison


  6. #46
    Senior Member Griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    First things first. I've got to catch him on a trail camera to be sure he survived again. I've got my fingers crossed, but only time will tell. I should have had him by now anyways. I feel good just knowing he lived in my area the last three years. I do have some plans that may up my odds if he is around next fall.

    I can't wait til spring to get busy. My wife retires this month which is a big plus. I always felt bad leaving her at home when I left for a couple days to hunt. This coming fall she will be able to go to the cabin with me. I'm sure I will hunt more often now that I don't have to leave her at home.
    Behind every good man is a good woman. It's great you feel that way about her.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

  7. #47
    Senior Member hortontoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Posts
    2,004
    I must admit I am very blessed. Believe me Chuck, we will make the best of it.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Posts
    1,639
    Thats awesome dick. I'm glad you are taking the step into retirement. My dad retired last year and he hunted his tail off this year and had a great time although he couldnt buy an opportunity at a deer. Enjoy your retirement.
    I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me. ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •