Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: and down go the tree's

and down go the tree's

well they started timbering the farm I hunt on Monday, and as of today, wow, they are taking a LOT of tree's down, maybe will have like 20% of tree's left, if that
    Its going to be a barren open area after they leave here, and with my out of control deer heard, many yrs I fear before things grow back up

guess this might be the closeure in me hunting here for sure now
    Oh well, been getting tired of hunting any how, maybe its time to throw in the towel!

Don't think of it as throwing in the towel, think of it as retirement. Comes a point in life when it's time to slow down a bit. That's the way I look at it. By the time I spend 8 hrs sitting in an office all day and every joint in my body aching, then coming home to all the chores of cutting wood, keeping up two vehicles, house repairs, property management, and many others, I don't have time nor the energy to hunt. All of the money I saved over the years from doing most everything myself, I have no problem buying a side of beef every so often. Let the kids kill em all.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

I hear you, I like beef as much as I like venison, and I can always kill a doe if I want meat, there pretty easy for me, if I want one
    my biggest issue's I guess is all the work I sunk into this farm, money too
    and to see the last few yrs go bad so much, due to things beyond my control, but yet sadly, the things are all , done by law breaker
    I get and except there will always be things beyond control
    but when you have laws that no one follows and no one enforces, that part sucks the most
    I should have a gold mine of a hunting spot, if even half the folks didn't cheat like they do here
    Oh well, I am getting too sore to sit up a tree any how
    so, if I hunt this yr or not, will have to see what I feel like come fall of 2014
    but for now, looks like I am throwing in the towel on deer hunting

hate to hear it

Give it some time. The juices will be flowing in the fall again. A cold snap, leaves turning, no bugs, just fresh air. The old bow will be in your hands again. Mrbb, you know there's nothing like it.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

Mrbb.......when was the last time you killed a deer? I've been on here for 4 hunting seasons and I can't recall you killing a deer......but that can't be right?
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

I killed a 140+ inch buck last yr, posted pic's on this site too?
    so?
    last jan, 2013, was last deer I killed
    didn't shoot one yr before that, due to didn't want to, and same as this yr I think
    been loosing desire to kill em, since my dag dies
    only shot the one I did last yr, due to it was wounded, had two, 22 rounds in its ass, and was limping, or I would have passed on it too
    last 10 plus deer I killed at where I hunt, all have had slugs in them, or bullet holes in there ears
    I have serious cheater problems there?? Thus my lack of desire to hunt any more

Well look at it this way. You always said the deer bed off of the farm. well now with the trees coming down more and more of those deer are going to stay on the farm because this timbering is habitat improvement. It may take 2-3 years but it will be dynamite. Until then the tops will provide browse and bedding for the deer. If anything it sounds like a good thing just be patient with it. Take next year off if you want but this is probably a very good thing in the long run.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

The way I see it......if you don't own your own land.....then what happens to it is simply the way it goes....no use in complaining about something you have no control over.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I killed a 140+ inch buck last yr, posted pic's on this site too?
    so
    sorry but my old brain just can't recall that mrbb....can you report a pic of that 140+ deer? I thought that it was last year that your dog died and you lost interest in hunting?? I seriously can't recall you ever killing (and posting) a deer since I've been on here 3 1/2 yrs....not saying you haven't....just saying I can't recall one.

Thread Information