Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two yrs a member

Hybrid View

well I am lucky to have a lot of guns, over the yrs they piled up, having the gun store, way too many great deals came by that ended up at home!
    my fav hunting rifle is in 7mm08 cal, a rem model 7, I had re barreled and stocked many many yrs back, early 90's, built by Hart Rifles
    been to AK with me and all over teh USA
    knocked down things from 500 yrds and under with it no problems, and its a nice light weight rifle and low recoil caliber
    as for a turkey shotgun, I personaly think, if your going to be a turkey hunter, its best to have a turkey set up shotgun, just for that, a good shotgun with a scope on it makes a HUGE difference on a turkey gun, if you ask me
    small game isn't big anymore in PA< due to many folks like you rather try for that big buck, small game isn't abundant like it was many yrs back
    back when owning a gun /bird dog was worth while investment and a thirll come fall
    as for a trap gun, everyone loves pretty over and unders(I own a few too)
    but to be honest, I always found a goood semi the better route, lower recoil any day of the week than a fixed barrel gun, so if you shoot a ton, having that little added less recoil can be very nice, and again they make for good small game guns too, as almost all have the option of changing out bbls real easy
    I have a few nice 28 ga shotguns, that I prefer for skeet and sporting clays these days
    after a few rounds, nice having felt like I didn't shoot much at all over the 12's I used to always use
    most folks don't know a 28 has almost same power levels , just less shot, making great guns, from the kids on up, as they have less recoil, and guns tend to be lighter too!, an added plus when you get older and lazy~ LOL

and yup, sadly trail cam's on public lands are a roll of the dice
    we use them up at hunting camp, and to be honest, walk them in far, and in past 5+ yrs haven't had one get stolen, we think it due to we tend to carry them pretty far in, and lock them well as we can!
    some great pic's at camp too of some slammer buck
    on a funny, ne guy this archery season, in a rain storm, was in his tree, a cam right behind it, got back to camp to check SD card, and he got a pic of a good 130 inch buck walking past him, and he never even seen it LOL
    guess the rain and it being so quiet , the buck walked past behibnd him and he never knew it happened till he check the cam ! maybe a draw back to having cam's??

I've shot the semi's and actually have one but my dad wants it so I will sell it to him. I reload my shotgun shells for clays so the o/u makes more sense to me because I am tired of crawling in the weeks to pick up my empties. I only hunt turkeys for 3 maybe 4 days a year in the spring so Im not going to bother having a separate gun just for that. I've hunted turkey with a scope on my shot gun before and it just didn't do it for me. There wasnt much advantage. All the birds I have gotten have been close enough that the scope was unnecessary. Plus it never fails that I get rained on during turkey season so keeping a scope clean is a pain.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    To me owner participation on a site gives that site credibility. It shows that the members are important to them. If there is staff then it gives the staff a (feeling of) purpose when the owner(s) participate now and then and give guidance. It also gives us all the feeling that we are worth the time and effort, and all of us know how precious our time is as we all have things going on in our lives that may take us away from here or other forums. In a nutshell IT helps us feel welcome.................

well we all like things the way we like em
    I been using butler creek scope caps since the 80's, they solved my issues with rain for me lol

exactly that is why there are soooooo many options out there these days.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well said Big_holla.....I post on here when I think it's an interesting thread/topic. And what I'm about to say my not be "site friendly" but lately most of the posts have been mrbb's....this site has become the mrbb show.....and unfortunately I'm not a fan of his ramblings. I'm not calling anyone out.....just saying what I feel....others I know from here, didn't bother to say it.....they just simply left.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

well sorry stone god, if me starting post and sharing info, isn't up to your likings
    but I have helped a lot of folks, and have tried to help keep the site going
    I don't rely on others to start posts, IF I like to reply
    I have tried to start posts on subjects I hope others here have interest in!
    so, you can say your not calling me out, all you like, but most of your last post reflect otherwise
    I have never been ?? to you, any pm's we have had, over a yr ago, were very friendly, so??
    what ever!!
    if I rub you the wrong way, sorry,
    the fact I have a lot of experience in the outdoors
    is a fact, and I am not shy about sharing to folks to try to help if I can!
    and this too is me saying what I feel, and sorry if it offends anyone here as well
    but I will stand up when you say what you say !
    and also, this is not my site, but it is where I spend time
    and without me , maybe doing so, this site would be pretty dead
    I haven't given up on it as I think some others have, not bashing them, just saying, I don't mind trying to save this site!
    Last edited by mrbb; 01-29-2014 at 02:11 PM.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    I guess I see no need at pointing fingers at any members for their lack of activity, types of posts, this or that. Fact is it takes people to make things work, not just one or two. If someone doesn't care for the type of post then make your own and share what's going on in your life. That's what is missing. It doesn't matter to me if someone does step away for a while and then comes back....fact is they came back. I said it long ago though, if people care at all then they'd take a moment to throw a reply down now and then. That's the only way the regular posters feel that the time they took to post up something was really even worth the effort. If that happened then soon those who are just replying to other's threads will start making threads of their own. That's how it starts. How you get lurkers and the occasional member to chime in now and then....well that's where I have racked my brain for years trying to figure it out.

Big Holla you have a unique perspective on this and I agree with what you have to say. I also started posting bit more when I found the Most Recent Posts! button. That really helped me find what was being discussed.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Chuck said it in a nutshell. Sometimes posting on a forum has to take a back seat to other circumstances in ones life. I belong to two forums and haven't posted on either one for nearly two months. Other things have been a priority for a while.

Actually it took me two months to drag out the buck I killed. He weighed 2832 pounds and had 86 points with a 76 inch inside spread. I'm beat!
    Last edited by hortontoter; 01-30-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Thread Information