Thread: Tough Year. Still Managed Some Luck and Success

Hybrid View

I agree with many of all of your statements. I use to live in Pgh. and now live in Cleve. My father and I have a cabin in NW. PA(Warren County). I now hunt both OH. and PA. Warren, Pa. is all mountains and I have hunted there for 35 years. Yes, I used to see more deer, but it was rare for me to see a racked buck. I must say though that the last two years in PA, I have seen more deer than normal. I took three with a bow out of the last 4 years in Pa. All descent racked bucks for PA. I hold out for larger ones in OH as I know the potential here.

I wait until November to start hunting PA. The first day for me this year(Nov. 4th), I saw about 14 deer and about 5 were bucks. Shooters were not in range. This is all sitting in my tree stand. The next morning, I saw a doe and then I took my 8 pointer. I stayed in my tree stand for about two hours after I shot since I did not see it drop. During that two hours, I saw about 5 more does and two more bucks. Granted, it was the rut and they were feeding on acorns in my area.

I was then done hunting in Pa for the year. No doe license for me. It is tradition for my dad and I to travel to there Friday after Thanksgiving through Wed. for gun opener in Pa. Special time for us. I did not hunt, but I did what I call a "mock" hunt this year opening day. I sit in my chosen spot for the day to help me find good future spots for hunting opening day. I had a great opening day(without a gun). I saw 19 deer total. Eight were bucks and five were shooters for me. One was possibly the biggest one I have seen there in many years. All this with possibly the fewest shots I have ever heard opening day. There are definitely less hunters in my area these days.

I like the antler restrictions in Pa. as I want to see larger bucks and I am definitely seeing larger bucks.

I also hunt about 40 minutesto one hour outside of Cleveland(depending on my spot I choose) and see fewer deer than Pa., but the fact that a trophy can be around the corner(I see them on my trail cams) keeps me in the stand hoping. I love both states, but the mountains of Pa. are in my blood. Nothing like the mountains for me. I have enjoyed this thread.
    Thanks all.
    Mathews Switchback XT
    Easton Flatline arrows
    True Glo 3 pin
    Rage 2 blade

That in itself is the reason we all continue to head to Ohio, or are always looking to gain access to more land in Ohio. Not so much what we have killed, but what COULD be killed.

Thread Information