Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunter in cold n snow

We have talked about this before I really wish they would do habitat improvement. Up by my camp the timber companies and tree farms that are open to public hunting have been doing some cutting for the last 8 years or so. With that the habitat has improved. Couple that with the renewed oil boom up there and those well pads get very little traffic but provide another good source of green feed for the deer to supplement the acorns, weeds and tree branches that was in there diet. I don't mess with the National forest since that is all old grown up forest that needs to be timbered.

The grouse at my camp have made an outstanding recovery recently with all the new cutting they have been doing since it has provided cover. Although every time I flush one walking in or out in the dark in archery season I always have to check my shorts since they seem to flush 3ft in front of me. The days of the wild reproducing pheasant are long over all we have left are stocked pheasants which don't breed in the wild. Its amazing we still have a pheasant season I would much rather see them try to do reintroduction efforts across the state like they did with the wild turkey. I know the close some parts of the state to pheasant hunting while they try the reintroduction. I have seen one wild pheasant that wasn't recently stocked last spring gobbler season silly thing was standing in the middle of the road, I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't nuts.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well sounds like there doing some logging up your way,and its always good to see, as that stuff does so much good for wildlife overall
    amazing how grouse can come back if given good cover and food, and timbering does a lot of that for many animals
    as for Pheasants, all the billions,a nd yup, its in the billions that this state spent on stocking pen raised pheasants, they should ahve used more of that $$ to improve the habitat for them, boought land or, bought wild birds from out of state and used them as a recovery deal and stopped a few seasons to try to get a come back
    Pheasant is a sore note for me, as I was a a big bird hunter most of my yrs
    and it took Pheasants Forever to pay the costs of shipping and buying wild birds for teh dam state to get involved i the last few yrs
    and they act like it was there doing taking credit for the work
    when all they really did was ALLOW, that's right allow the PF to import them, as before that it was illegal for them to bring any in to PA
    and in all the areas they have re stocked wild birds, there holding there own and even breeding
    they have a huge area up in NE PA where there is a lot of birds due to this, and they closed the seasons there to help, I'll give the state credit for at least doing that
    but crap with the amount of $$ they dumped in pen raised birds, we should have a hell of a great pheasant population, or at least in some area's where they could live all yr
    a huge waste of money
    and it was funny a few yrs back they dropped the raising birds, and then cried they were under budgets, when stopping that, saved them many many millions, and they never said where all that extra budget funding went??
    thena few yrs later they brought it back in a small amount!!
    scam I think, they all got raises, and cut the program to do it!
    I am not a fan of PA's Game dept, sadly due to things I know and seen them do,and worse stories I heard that I know were true! a pure shame, we have so much land to work with and game, we should have a hell of a source of wildlife to hunt in PA , BUT ???

It is amazing how the grouse have come back but they hardly get hunted and the private land owners are doing things to make money oil and timbering that is helping the habitat. The big one is the lumber company is actually cutting up there. It really is I great thing to see. The private lands open to public hunting are getting better because of this. The Game lands, state forests and national forest is a different story entirely.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information