Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gun Season!!!!!

Soo....got to the woods/fields shortly before sunrise this morning. The plan was me and my buddy were going to walk out a bunch of public land and jump some deer. We started out by stalking a small plot of woods without any luck. After that we ended up walking a good 4-5 miles off the road (8-10 round trip) and didn't see a single deer. We walked tree lines, fields, anything and everything! We only saw about 5-6 trucks out today and didnt probably hear a dozen shots. I gotta admit, i'm real bummed about shotgun season this year, yeah I prefer to bow hunt but it's a nice lil break around here to be able to reach out and touch em'. I hunted 3 days this week and did not see a single deer! What's going on with these deer this year.......!!
    I live life at full draw....

Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    Soo....got to the woods/fields shortly before sunrise this morning. The plan was me and my buddy were going to walk out a bunch of public land and jump some deer. We started out by stalking a small plot of woods without any luck. After that we ended up walking a good 4-5 miles off the road (8-10 round trip) and didn't see a single deer. We walked tree lines, fields, anything and everything! We only saw about 5-6 trucks out today and didnt probably hear a dozen shots. I gotta admit, i'm real bummed about shotgun season this year, yeah I prefer to bow hunt but it's a nice lil break around here to be able to reach out and touch em'. I hunted 3 days this week and did not see a single deer! What's going on with these deer this year.......!!
    Get used to this the DNR / Farmers wanted this. I thought it would take longer to happen but WOW 2nd year and now the deer population is way down.. I would love to see the stats day by day especially the Monday after the doe only season we had I bet the Buck kill was high on Monday. poaching is now the new normal... why tag a deer in if you get it home cut it up and save money on getting another tag. I hunted all day Sat and a lot on Sunday very few shots heard and none close to me I saw 1 small doe the entire time and very few tracks.
    A few years ago I could put my camera out and in a week have 100 plus pictures now I keep it out and get maybe 10 to 15 picture.

Something is wrong????
    I want to die like my father, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming and terrified, like his passengers.

well I will not say deer numbers are down where you hunt, but I have lots of deer here, yet in past 3 weeks of hunting I have seen very few deer if any at all, same goes for all the guys hunting with and about me
    its not no deer, its the fact deer here anymore only move at night, they get in nasty stuff before light and don't come out till dark
    making it seem like there are no deer, but there are lots of deer, over a 100 hit this farm at night
    I think this is happening in a lot of places to, more and more deer have adapted to living in the dark to avoid people in places people shoot them, I have lots of poachers here, and they are what blame it on

Well deer camp was brutal. Got there last friday and left today. I planned on hunting today and leaving tomorrow but mother nature had other plans. Saturday was really really cold like 10-15 degree wind chill and snow, I did not see any deer and there were not many deer seen that day. Today (monday) we woke up to freezing rain and when the first guy slid into the ditch coming out of the drive way we called it a day and packed up and waited for the dirt road to get treated. Thankfully by noon it had been treated and we were able to get out it was a little hairy but we made it out. Due to heavier ice on my way home I had to make an overnight layover at my parents house in pittsburgh before I make for final leg of my trip tomorrow. Ice is no joke and I am glad we got out. It was going to get very cold again to night so that road will be an ice skating rink again tomorrow. So its been a tough one so far.

The deer movement was way down and so far this winter is shaping up to be a hard hard winter on the deer up there. We have had snow on the ground most of the time since mid November and have already had several weeks of below freezing weather in the teens and a one heavy 12+" snow. It will be a hard winter on the deer. On the plus side the hunter numbers and kills have been way way down. The hunting pressure was way down for the opening of buck/doe season this weekend. We only saw 2 other vehicles in the area we hunt. Tough one so far
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well Nomad, I hear you, I hunted all day today in a freezing rain sleet mix, and all I seen was a small bear at 7;45 am
    rest of the day was like I was the only thing living in the woods, didn't hear a gun shot all day
    terrible season
    my buddy is a butcher, and he normally gets about 150 deer on opening day, so far this whole gun season he has only got in like 65 deer
    so kills are down all over

lots of guys out my way, just no one seeing any deer
    pulled carema's sd cards again today, 198 pictures and not a one in legal shooting hrs, ever pic started about 10 pm and were done by 5 am
    deer have us hunters figured out I think LOL

Well no offense but i'm glad to hear that i'm (and all my huntin crew) are not the only ones having a slow/bad year when it comes top deer hunting. And it definitely seems like the deer have figured us out this year, hahaha. As far as poaching goes...this call in/online tag system is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. What was wrong with taking your deer to one of many check in stations and doing it that way? I guess it's the new age with technology, everything has to do with computers our electronics some how huh? Also I liked taking them in somewhere to tag them cuz, at least around here, they were always down home kinda places and it gave you a chance to see everyones deer and kinda told you how the deer were moving. They want to cut down on all the poaching but then they basically give them a "free, all you can kill deer killing pass". But let's control our numbers right....

Well I hear you, here in Pa, we have not had to check a deer in in about 50 yrs, we used to geta card we were supposed to fill out and mail in, thats right mail in within 15 days of a kill, yup 15 days, NOW last few yrs we are on a call in deal, and yes, many many many folks don't
    for yrs and yrs and even now, the state estimates deer kills, not even a accurate deer kill, and never cared to have one, they I was told estimate that about 25% of folks don't report there kills, so add that in to there guess!
    funny, they make bear hunters check in bears, and bears have been doing great in pa since the history of hunting them, with the check in deal, and deer, with the guessing deal, have not?? Wonder if they ever think about that?
    as for having a check in station, I liked that in Ohio and other places, I think it also gave a lot of places more business too, as every time I checked in a deer, I bought something, be it a soda, a snack or??
    so pulling them from business's like that hurt the economy too if you ask me, and gets a poor non accurate deer kill to work with
    a shame if you ask me
    but every state is always saying there short on budget, and I bet this saves them money, and why its being done

I have to agree mrbb. I'm from a smaller town and every time we took a deer to check it in, we always bought something else ( pop, food, etc) which obliviously helped small businesses around here. Can't tell you how many of those lil mom and pop stores have closed down since this started. But the government is always talking about shop local and small businesses, kinda hard to do when they keep shutting them down huh.

Regarding the new deer check procedures, guess I am part of the minority here. I don't believe the new check in process has any bearing on deer kill numbers.

Poachers will be poachers. Doesn't matter what the check in procedure is.

Giving someone an easier way to check in a deer does not make that person suddenly turn into a poacher. Just like giving someone a gun doesn't suddenly turn that person into a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by rthensley View Post
    Regarding the new deer check procedures, guess I am part of the minority here. I don't believe the new check in process has any bearing on deer kill numbers.

Poachers will be poachers. Doesn't matter what the check in procedure is.

Giving someone an easier way to check in a deer does not make that person suddenly turn into a poacher. Just like giving someone a gun doesn't suddenly turn that person into a criminal.
    I agree it doesn't turn hunters into a poacher, but , I know a lot of guys that get lazy, and forget to call it in or send in a report card(what we used to have here in Pa)
    and as such, anyone that just doesn't call in or report due to getting busy or forgetting or??
    you end up with less accurate numbers IMO!
    the check in I feel is the most accurate way and makes folks the most honest(again poachers will be poachers)
    but gives a very accurate kill numbers
    and its why in so many places where critters like Moose and bears, HAVE to be checked in, it gives a lot more info
    I think, people running check stations can see if the deer are getting smaller , larger, more bucks, or does, or just amounts killed in a certian area,from yr to yr
    as lets say a local check staion is up and running for a few yrs, the folks running it can give very valid feedback I think to the state on if kill numbers in THAT area are higher or lower, since most locals will go to the closest station
    it can help get a better feel on an area's numbers, over say just a call in, by a guy that kills a buck 300 miles a away, and just gives a county for a location! the feel for a kill in the local area, is missing info(granted they may not use this now, but I think they should can could if wanted with a check in station, after all, most used to keep a place to post pic's of bucks too, for all to see from yr to yr
    in todays day and age, better info is always best
    leaving folks to be honest on there own, tends to lead to more folks slacking!!
    call it the currect american way(sadly)

Thread Information