Thread: Deer Decoys?

Deer Decoys?

I have been wanting to try using decoys for a few years now. I found a good deal on a Primos fork horn buck. The horns can be removed to mimic a doe. I have read just about everything I could on using them and want to give it a try. As I understand it can be a great way to hunt. I am hunting my own land (no tresspassers to date) an I will not use one during gun season. Wondering if there is any first hand experience here? What are your thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fork horn.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	10466

well like every other trick, they can work, and they can also scare deer away
    I have ben using decoys since about 1998, and have mixed results, that lean more to scaring deer than helping me
    I have had up to 3 decoys out at once, a doe a small buck and a bigger buck, and 3 doe, 2 doe and a buck, and so one
    have used them in earkly season, late season, the rut, even gun season
    I have tried them, in Ohio, PA, Mo, SD and ND, and same results most times, no real interest
    I've seen TV shows where they work great, just never had that happen, only thing that ever knockled one down on me was a coyote once, an a small bear, the bear didn't attack it, just was smelling it and leaned into it and it fell over LOL

I was hunting in Ohio once(posted this story when it happened here too)
    a few yrs back in the rut
    had my decoy doe out, about 30 minutes before, I just climbed down out of tree and added a new bottle os tink's 69 , I used to hang a white papertowel at its tail to help it make it look like its moving
    poored the whole dam bottle out under its ass
    got up in my treestand, and about 20 minutes later I had a monster12 pointer all of 170 and then some come from below me, not down wind either
    he walked up to me, froze up at 50 yrds broadside, and got into a staring match with this doe decoy, about 15 minutes time stood still, that buck never even blinked or twitched, I had a 40 yrd max on shots I would take, and figured I was golden, this buck didn't have a clue I was there, all that fresh tink;s 69 out, just needed a few more yrds and I was in!
    well the stare down went on, and then that buck, did a 180 and went back the way he came ??
    just walked away
    to this day I swear if I didn;t have that dam decoy out, he would have just walked past me on the trail he was on
    he figured it out it wasn't real and left!
    that has happened about 10 different times with other bucks(not as big)
    I have had doe snort there brains out at decoys, and have had many deer run when they seen them
    I have washed them in scent killer always ebfore use, even tried mud baths to help de scent them, and take any glare off
    I still try them once in a while, but for me, there more of a toy than a tool in hunting with my results!
    best of luck to you
    if I had to pick a decoy again, I would want a bedded deer decoy, or a feeding one
    them upright one's to me are just too hard on deer when they don't move a feeding o bedded one, I think might not get such an alert from other deer!

Mrbb, That sounds like a lot of bad luck and I respect your opinion. Tell me, I there much hunting in the areas you hunt? also are you decoying in open areas? from what I have read they need to be placed in open areas so deer can see them 100yds or better away. I have also read that they will scare does and it is best to use them in areas where does are not out numbering bucks by too much. I am hunting on 20 acres and 10acres is hay. the deer are in the field at night but otherwise the area is no good to hunt. I am planning on setting up in a corner with a decoy 20-30 yds in the field and see how deer react to it. The hay field is surrounded by woods on three sides and a tree lined fence that deer use for cover when crossing the field. Any way I agree with you that the on line videos are hard to believe, especially when bucks are mounting decoys... My deer aren't that dumb. I guess if I try this and it does work, it may only work for one or two hunts per season... the rest of the year it will be a lawn ordament.

After reading your post, I wonder if the 12pointer would have come out at all without the decoy. Again I respect your opinion. and thank you for shareing. It's like you say "another trick"
    nothing is a sure bet... I know
    Last edited by ed1315; 12-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.

From my experience, which isn't a whole lot, my doe decoy freaked the deer out. I think it's one of those things that will work to perfection in about 1/10 scenarios, and I already pack enough stuff into the woods so I never really gave it too much of a chance. But good luck to you let us know how it goes. The best advice I ever read was to tack a piece of unscented toilet paper to the decoys rear and ears to give it just a little bit of movement.

I started using my decoy about 5-6 years ago and have had quite a bit off luck with it. I will have to say that old wise does are very nervous about them, from my experiences. I have found that they are magnets for smaller bucks, but I have never had the chance to see how they work on a big buck. I like to set it up where deer can see it from a long ways out, as much as possible. Make sure you spray it down with scent killer completely after you set it up. I like to hang a scent bomb right behind the decoy. One thing to remember is that most deer will come in from behind or down wind to scent check it, so you should angle your decoy accordingly. Like I said I have had quite a bit of luck with them but I agree it's not a for sure deal sealer. Wouldn't try to use if your hunting does. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
    I live life at full draw....

Well I went ahead and ordered one. It came the other day. It looks good and I think a good price. I put it together and set it out in the front yard to see the reaction of passing cars LOL! Many slowed and looked it was funny. Then later my neighbor (a hunter) ran out of his house and thought it was real. His little boy set him straight: THAT'S NOT A REAL DEER! the boy exclaimed. I have it in the back yard now and it will stay outside untill I can hunt in two weeks... but already having fun with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0332.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	10507
    Last edited by ed1315; 12-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.

well thats funny, I have tried putting mine out with a trail cam over it in the off season, never had a deer go near it, was actually hoping to get a coyote more than deer by it, but never worked ot, will try again this winter and see lol

Thread Information