Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

so your suggesting i sit with my back to the creekside on the north of the property? or right in the corner and 45 it out toward the pond, i know i can eliminate the creek which is why i was thinking sitting my back to that and focus my attention on the wood edge at that point.

the fields in the top left of that pic, seem a lot greener to me, , not sure how accurate the pic is to current conditions, but I would be hunting near the greenest firld there is, its better food for deer and deeer will know it, unl;ess there is standing corn or soybeans, then I'd be close to them for sure in the evenings and then a little farther back in mornings! catching them going back to bed for the day!

gun hunting pressure can some times be a good thing on private lands, or public, as all the people push deer about making for possible action all day long, where as many times deer only feed at night or early morning and then again at just dusk, learning how to get behind all them people is key, use them to push deer to you
    good luck , glad your having fun with hunting

also, on the treestand, make sure you don't keep the twop too tight together when climbing with the link between them, make sure they can work well, and even once at the height your going to stay at, pulling up on the bottom can take presure off what holds it to the tree, so be safe when using, and let somoen know where your going too and when you will be back
    I used to keep a map, and put a tac in where I was that evening and leave it in my truck, so if anyoen came a looking they would have a jump start LOl

that is a good tip indeed, i usualy tell a few people where im going, and landowner also knows, he tipped me that there is a 180+ lb doe in there , and they have taken a 6, 7. 8and a 9 point buck out of this land over the past few years so he knows there are good size deer back there. and he suggested the same top corner ive been eyeing. and also there apparently is a good trail right as i walk around the large pond to the north and keep walking straight, is a heavly marked trail of hooves and he knows they go to that pond to drink.
    so sounds like i got a good game plan figured out.

sounds liek a nice place and possibly a great place to have for yrs ,a nd doesn't maybe get a lot of hunting pressure, all the better for you then if so
    and can also mean theer are some BIG one's there
    I'd invest in a trail cam next if I was you, and see what you see, but wait till after gun season, incase folks hunt there(even one's that don't have permission can be about more in gun season than all other times of yr)
    don't want a camera growing legs, no fun at all when that happens!
    trust me, plain out sucks LOL

Sounds like you have a plan. Use what the land owner tells you and work from there. Right now green vegetation is killer especially when there is nothing else around. In the big woods up north I've found some small patches of green that have really attracted the deer. When I was up there last time.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well today was a disaster. Wed night late I started to assemble my climber and get myself familure with it and out out I was missing 2 bolts around 10 pm. So I got frustrated and just packed up the rest of my gear and figured since there was 2 stands on the land that I wouldn't stress to much over it. Plus I want to climb a small tree in my back yard first to make sure I'm comfortable with everything.

Get to the land at 630 and put on my camo. Test wind and there was none so I was happy. No rain . Slightly warm so figured might be ok. I make my way to where he told me to go and can't find the stands. I spent probably a hour and half searching for what he told me and was no where to be found. I walked all over that woods ands found what I think is a good spot right between the field and there bedding area. Right in the heart of the woods it opens up to some large trees with tall cannopy and a tone of trails. I gave up hunting and just used it as a scouting trip since I know I trailed all over the woods.

Sadly I did also find a blind in thew woods and it wasn't theres. So he's going to address that problem as well.

Decided to go back to public land around 10 and sat for about 2 hours and rain finally ran me home. And didn't see a single deer again. On the plus side I was aalone on public land lol.

Well i don't blsme you on the treestand, always best to try it out in good light and in a safe place, but make sure the tree is of proper size, not too small
    and yes it sucks to find them missing parts, been there with many a ladderstands over the yrs, very fustrating to say the least!
    I ha e found the brand you buy can effect how common that is too, highrer end stands have few if any bolts on climbers, but sure it can happen with any brand
    as for not finding the stands, well if someone took them, then, that says what I figured, people trespass and hunt there without permission, very common deal by me, sucks, but can still be a great place to hunt
    and in all honestly, its never a good idea to use a stand blindly, not knowing its condition, age or how safe it is, best to check them out in good light
    and again, just cause its public lands, doesn't mean there all crowded, i have hunted many great public lands even on opeing day of gun season and had the area to myself, public lands can be as good as any place to hunt
    and last, don't give up, i been on good land all week and not seeing any deer, so it happens

Oh yea. It would be nice for me to even spot a deer while sitting in a hunt but I havnt. Oh well.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Just read over a lot of what you have gone over here and it looks like these guys have you on the right path. Just takes time and once you start seeing deer then it will be on to shooting one.

What viewer did you use for the above ^^ property picture??

Hang in there 213chrisp. I bow hunted for three years before I got one with a bow. Can be very tough at first with a steep learning curve, but it will get easier, especially once find find a few good spots and figure out a good way to hunt them....

Thread Information