Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

yesterday went to rural king and picked up myself a climber tree stand, had them 30% off so figured i would pick me up one.

im planning on going hunting again thursday, but being its open gun season, i dont want to use my shotgun, and dont really want to hunt public grounds but hard to decide where to hunt, i can go back to the place where i found those tree rubs as im almost certain no one would be near that spot due to its location, poor to hunt with a rifle in such a small area like that, or i can go hunt the private ground which ive yet to set a foot on, i guess this is half the fun and battle of hunting is "where".

i think im aiming for public spot since i seem to have a good understanding of these deer now.

Careful with the climber and read the Instructions twice. Wear your harness and remember to tether the top and bottom together so you can't lose the bottom when in the tree
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

ty nomad and yes ive been doing a tone of youtube videos and reading up on them and almost everyone suggest tethering them together for that reason, dont want to get to the top and then loose the bottom half, would be a bad situation.

i think im going to the fields in the morning , still dont know where to go though, private land which ive not been to yet at all , or public land that im sure has been hunted heavly with being open gun season now.

Go private and give it a chance. Thats what I would do.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

yep, thats what ive decided to do , esp with the winds suppost to be blowing west, looks like it should be a good day. weather doesnt look like good forcast though. rain rain and more rain. oh well, its the only time i get to hunt so out to the land i go. will be early morning when i get there, i assume setting up on a edge of the field is useless at that time of day and be better of going into the woods correct?

edges can still be productive in the morning, especially if deer use the edge to travel back from food source to bedding. Also less chance of bumping deer if you set up on the edge... if there is a heavily used trail in the woods that you know the deer are using then that may be better and worth the risk of bumping deer. If I am hunting a new area for the first time and haven't done much scouting, i prefer to hunt on the edge of a field with a good view that way I can see where the deer are making their entrance/exit. Sometimes the first hunt is more of a scouting trip with a bow in case you guess right the first time.

ok, that is the area i got acecss to hunt, the house is to the left, and subdivision to the sw of this picture (can see just the edges of the houses) hard to see but there is a small path leading between the ponds and if you follow it to the woods it will make a S and come out to the large field, im thinking of setting up in that field in the north west corner, OR, you will see that stick out over on right side of the field and there is a row of trees that point out, i think that is a little opening like where you would find a power line threw, thought about sitting back along that cut about half way into the woods. as you see the creek runs along the back side and curls around the woods and down the side of the farm land.

the owner said the north corner where the rocks are and the small pond was also a good spot, so i guess i got alot of options.

forgot to mention, winds will be blowing west tomorrow according to weather as well.

I would use the info you got and set up on the edge of the woods and the creek by the small pond. That way you probably wont bump anything and will be able to check and see what is going on. You may want to go and scout before you plan to hunt so you can pick a tree and possibly climb it in your new stand.

Thread Information