Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

also, I personally think learning the way you are will be more rewarding when you get that first one
    people that get taken out and all set up, have a much easier time, but I think they miss learning a lot of things, you learn by trial and error
    trial and error in the hunting world adds yrs of experience over a hunter that was walked out put up a tree and placed in a spot to kill
    they never got to learn why to hunt there or how to read sign or the rest of things involved in hunting
    more experienced folks like to take there kids to get them a deer , and I get that , but at the same time I feel the kids miss learning a lot of what we all(experienced hunters who learned from doing) have learned along our yrs
    a big difference to me
    so just stay possitive and rememebr in the long run you'll be a better hunter by doing all this work now

well worded mrbb and i agree 100%, i still plan on going hunting just seems like i got more to learn is all, if i think there going to go to that field to feed at one point or another, i should stay near the edge of that but inside the woods like others have suggested, when i get some time ill try to get some maps up so i can point where i think is good, and kinda go from there.

also remember that come gun season, a ton more folks will be hunting, like an orange army, and that will change deer movements a lot, in place with more hunters, they tend to move more at night, and bed more all day
    that works both ways too, in some places a bedded deer will get moved by the influx of hunters and thus be on there feet more being moved from say a home range onto new lands
    a field this time of yr is a good food source, but sadly its more likely to be used at night
    a good way to learn a bedding area is to walk from field towards cover, till you start to bump deer
    and then back off a little and set up on a next sit, or even that same day!
    deer tend to try to bed in same general area, unless move a bunch of times by outseide disturbence's, then they more to places with less intrusion
    name of the game is to enjoy being outdoors and then advancing as you go
    all about fun, and killing last, even if its the main goal
    a kill you earn will be sweeter than one you luck into!

yea i was first in the woods sat morning on opening day for youth gun season, and was alone for about 2 hours till around 930ish, i thought i was in the good spot but found myself close to the main path going to the field i was hunting which is why i was forced to move, oh well though.

might have to give the private land a try till after gun season , or i can try public land again next sat cause that will be the break between youth and adult gun season for the 7-10 day period that it is.

about calls.
    ive done some reasearch and i seem to like the idea of this Flextone Extinguisher Deer Call , being its basicaly a all in one call for a few different reasons, Cheaper on the wallet cause i wont have to get different calls , and also easier to use cause it seems rather simple to operate, anyone have any experience with one or know someone that has, all reviews ive seen is positive on it.

What MRBB said find I trail from the field source and walk it back until you either run into deer or start finding beds which are essentially ovals of matted leaves, grass etc... where a deer was bedded down.

Dont discount the private land. Hunt that if you have a chance it takes skill to get a deer private or public dont sell yourself short. If I had access to private land I would spend my time hunting that over private land because the private land probably has a few more deer with less pressure and you chances for success will increase as well.
    Last edited by nomad_archer; 11-24-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well to me the real perk of private land is simply this, you have more control over who and when people will show up(or you lets say have more control, as trespassers still drive me nuts at my place LOl)
    and that makes deer more predictable, knowing, or them knowing less folks bother them to throw them off there normal routines

as human disturbance is a huge influence on deer if you ask me, and its no fun to walk in to a spot an hr before sun rise, and have a guy walk in on you 10 minutes after first light
    it happns on public lands, and you have no action to take but suck it up
    where as on private lands, you can maybe kick them out, get to know them and work together to not happen again, or, have them arrested
    the perks of private lands can also be lands with better habitat, thus better hunting
    and also having the options to set up stands and blinds and leave them with less worry about them gropwing legs and walking off on you!
    and in OHIO< on private lands you can legally bait, if you so want, where as on public lands in ohio, its illegal to do so!
    those are all the perks to private lands in my book!
    but I have killed dozens and dozens of deer on public lands
    and even in places I have access to private lands, many times I have still found myself on public lands when conditions are right on them! don't get caught up in the need to have private lands to have a good hunt or chance at a deer, far too many guys cry about public lands, yet the majoriety of deer killed are on public lands in most states yr after yr!

which is what i thought, being its private land i dont have to worry about others trailing threw the woods, the deer are no where near as pressured to come out of the woods or move around and feed cause there "safe" in that location , or at least was :) , i know deer are smarter and also stupider then people want to beleive , its just a matter of figuring out feeding/bedding areas and pick a spot between and wait.

thats right and again, come gun season, deer will be all over the dam place, as all them places no one has been in months will get pressure in most places, private or public
    making almost any place a good place to be on opening day
    just be safe and watch out for guys shooting and not paying attenion to back grounds
    one time of yr that maybe being up a tree is a safer place to be LOl
    oh well, hunting is a super safe sport
    I live in a state that used to have over a million gun hunters hitting the woods opening day, and it was very rare a person ever got shot! and that was with rifles that can send a bullet a few miles,too!
    last yr we actually had a zero % of accidents in the hunting season, a first ina while, but considering how many hunters we have, that make hunting a pretty safe sport overall

im ready to get back out there, probably will go hunting sat evening, like 1pm till sundown. just where i dont know yet, either public in the same spot ive been at before, or private land that ive not scouted but friend told me where i should go there.

well good luck

Thread Information