Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

As mrbb said dont worry too much about the saw. I have a cheap Gerber bone saw I got from dicks sporting goods or walmart years and years ago. Dont worry too much about that. I shot lots of deer before I got the bone saw. It just makes the job easier. Some butchers will add an extra fee on to the job if you dont have the butthole out others wont.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

so i live in outskirts of a small town on south west ohio and across from my subdevision is farm land that is now just semi overgown and a grass fields mixed with pathces of woods, couple weeks ago seen about 4-5 deer in one of the fields , yesterday seen a good buck , i would guess 8-10 points, i didnt get a super good look at him but i do know he was large, and today im going to work and at 830 and there was a large doe sitting in the other field feeding off the grass lands, im going to go try to see if i cant get access to hunt this land since it seems to hold good quality deer. i just dont know when i can even attempt to approach the landowner.

and i just realized my first hunt is going to be first day for youth gun season which reqires all hunter orange vest and cap to be worn at all times. this is going to be intersting day tomorrow

ive been trying to find this answer and i just dont seem to be able to figure it out, regulation says no hunting 30 mins before sun up, and 30 mins after sun down, does that mean i cant go into the woods till that time? or i just cant shoot a deer during these times?
    reason why im asking is i thought about heading in before sun up and pick my spot and get myself prepared and do a short scouting on the field.

You are allowed to go into the woods whenever you want, just can't shoot a deer until 30 minutes before sunrise. You are right on track, generally a good idea to get to your spot 30 minutes to an hour before shooting light so you can get set up and let things quiet down before the action begins... Wouldn't do a ton of scouting in the dark though, it is tough not to bump deer in the dark hours of the morning as they are usually on their feet, I would slip into your spot as quietely as possible and try to choose a route where you are unlikely to encounter deer or leave scent on the path they will be walking to you. Too many times I have seen a deer headed to me and cross my track and become alerted. Of course good scent control can help with this...Good luck and stay safe with youth gun going on

yea thats what i thought, i will be working a corner of a open field , im just worried someones going to come in behind me and just trail right threw where ill be sitting to go to the other side of the field and if they do, A the wind will be against them and thats going to run them off and i might as well move to another spot at that point, which i probably will do, i planned on sitting basicaly where the trail comes to the field and it does a Y , left goes to field, right takes you along the edge and thats where i was going to hunt.

i guess time will tell.

Extra people in the woods isnt a bad thing. People moving usually = deer moving as well. I would rather be in the woods with a few other people then all alone especially when things are slow. Dont worry if someone walks by you and keeps going they probably didnt mess anything up. I've had people come through and 10 minutes later I had deer in front of me.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Off to the woods I go. Wish me luck. And I'm first one here in this section of woods

Good luck let us know how you do

Well clearly I don't know what I'm doing just yet lol. Just cane out of the woods wind is picking up so decided to call it quits. Just crawled back to the truck.
    All in all ibyhibk it was successful for my first hunt. About 640 I was going threw woods to get to where I thought was the good spot. And about 2/3 way threw the path I hear a ruckus to my 2aclock. Its still pitch black out so I can't see nor can I shoot and sure enough it was 2 good size deer. And I only know that cause of the white tails in the air. How large I didn't get a good look at them. I had a light strapped to ny head . So made it to my first spot and wasn't getting any action so I decide to go try the field. Here comes a dad and son walking right threw middle of the field crossing the entire thing at a 45 degree angle. At this point the wind is blowing east unseat of north like they projected so I figured I was waisting time hunting this part of the land with the wind blowing basically down the entire field now. So decided to go scout for a new spot about 9am and would find a spot ans stop for 30 mins and look around. Again nothing. I've discovered I need a tree stand (which I don't have) and a game call ( which I don't have). Used a hunting app on my droid and decided to use it in my advantage and starred looking around for spots and discovered this place is nothing but hills and valleys and with 10plus mph wind blowing all these tresses over and the fields figured I'm fighting a lost cause.

It was good learning curve and I will do it again. Just maybe not here .

Guess Its just a matter of experience at this point.

Thread Information