Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

this is how i was going to field cleaning the deer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCVFkkyQC4

Cool that will work. I will have to try his method for getting the butthole out. I usually get as close as I can to getting it out and cut the pelvis with a bone saw when I get the deer back to the truck. The only thing I do different is I dont split the pelvic bone in the woods or the breast bone to much of a chance to cut yourself with both methods. You need to split the pelvis to get the butthole out but I do that at the truck. I never bother splitting the breast bone since you can reach in there and cut what you need to cut without adding the extra work. Plus the meat stays cleaner when you drag it out if the body cavity has some structure to it. IE the breast bone isnt split.

You may want to get tall rubber dish gloves for gutting gloves they are durable and reusable.
    Last edited by nomad_archer; 11-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well that video does a good job , but IF you don't have a knife yet, they sell many models with what they call a gut hook, if you see the second knife he used, it has one on it, its made so you don't have to use your fingers to hold open the belly cut, and helps prevent any cutting into the guts and or your fingers
    they work well, and can be had kinda cheap
    the real deal is keeping a knife sharp
    a dull knife is much more dangerous than a shatp one,
    if you plan to get your first deer mounted, you will NOT want to cut up thry the ribs like he did
    what you then have to do is stop at them, and reach up with your arms and just remove things that way, some what blind cutting, but nothing in ther is consideed great meat cuts, so even if you slice up a little, no real harm, just don't cut your fingers doing so
    name of teh game is to cut all loose up there so you can pull it out
    its a learning curve that works best by doing, rather than reading
    you'll be ok
    as for removinga deer, they drag some what easy, just take your time and you'll be ok
    they sell carts and the likes, but if its hilly they come to be more work than help
    these days with so many folks with cell phone, normally a call to a friend can bring extra muscle, and that makes life the easiest
    a good 10 ft rope is all you need and strong back and will power
    go slow, and take all the breaks you need
    gutting a deer before dragging makes the lighter LOL
    so many folks do that where they die! for that reason, some folks don't cause they worry about attracting coyotes and such, and ruining there hunting area
    I never worry about that, but some do

if you hit a deer, best advice I can tell you is try to do 2 things, really pay attention to where exactlly it was standing when you shot, and where you last seen it whe it runs off, them two spots are HUGE impotance, so many get caught up in excitement and forget to do this
    and if a poor shot happens, and they do, not knowing these things makes matters even harder to recover
    when it doubt back out, meaning its better to wait longer than go after a deer sooner
    archery kills by nleding a deer out, a rifle/bullet does so more by trama
    so a minor hit takes alot longer if at all to bleed a deer out, than a good hit, thus, more time nefore looking the better on poor hits

lighted nocks help a ton on seeing where you hit a deer, finding an arrow, or even the deer I highly recommend them if your budget allows

a good range finder too is great gear to have
    for new hunters I strongly recommend you try to stick to closer shots too, like 30 yrds and less
    closer tends to leave less room for error
    experience and skills progress and then you can decided on how far is far!
    asking here or any bow hunting site tends to get a lot of debate on how far is too far or just far so its a personal call and skill set

yea i dont have a knife yet either, its on the list to buy before i head out, it seems i might be having to work now too, but if im off, im heading out to the woods on way or another.

Hey good luck with your first hunt, hope you have some action. It sounds like you have been doing your research which is great. If you are like me, you will also end up learning a lot from trial and error, so don't beat yourself up if things don't go perfectly; just apply what you learned to the next hunt. Another tip for dragging the deer, if you ending up hunting from treestands at all and are wearing a harness, it is pretty nice to tie your rope to the deer as described above and then hook that to the back of your harness-- gives you a more stronger, more durable pull than just holding the rope with your hands. Have fun!

I stay away from using my treestand harness or any of my safety ropes for dragging as I dont want to cause any more wear on them then I need to since if I ever need them I do not want a failure. A small sash type drag takes up next to no room and keeps my safety equipment out of work for deer dragging and in business of keeping me safe. Thats my take on it. Probably wouldnt hurt to use it but I will stay away from it.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

so today went to walmart and got my licenses and bi sex permit , a double harness deer drag, broadhead wrench and a remington guthook knife. so now im ready to go hunting! besides that small saw he used to split the pelvis bone.

in a pinch I've used all sorts of things to split that bone. A clean hacksaw, butchersaw or a dedicated bonesaw will work just leave it in your vehicle or at home just dont take the deer to the butcher without getting the butthole out.

i was thikning about getting a drywall saw at lowes for about 8 bucks and just use it for that. i dont think im going to need much of anything else besides my safety vest and cap. and my shopping list would be done.
    all i can say is im getting excited about this, i know weathers going to be like crap but its not stopping me from getting out there , if anything it will help me unwind from normal life and i can get the chance to relax. worked 108 hours at work in the last 2 weeks (mandatory ot) so needless to say im kinda beat up mentaly and physicaly.

well I have gutted a few hundred der without a saw
    and never needed one, there a luxery, and nice to use, but not needed
    there are other ways to either break that, crack it or just cut around it and clean things out without breaking/cutting it
    a small ax at the truck can get the job done too, and then just remove the rest before hand
    a strong knife(be safe about this) and slapping the back down into it hard will work in the right spot

a cheap leatherm,an with a saw will do whole job too
    many bigger knives with them gut hooks on them, have a saw teeth on the back of the blade making them a one do all tool too

I wouldn't worry too much about it, butchers get a ton of deer with guts still in them and cleaned poorly, they don't sweat it that much
    some might complain more than others but they have to be used to it
    I do part time work for a freind that does about 250+ a yr, and trust mem, we get a lot in with a lot of things left in, the butt hole is minor!
    I would be more worried about practicing your shooting
    did you take a hunter safety course yet??
    I now wally world can some times sell lic's to folks that didn't take a test
    but that can leave you in violation of some state's game laws if you buy it and hunt with it before taking the course and passing it
    ths if you kill a monster buck and they find out, you can loose the deer and even get fined big time for illegally hunting!
    shooting well is one of the most important parts of hunting, and shoot safe and accuratly is what I mean by that
    good luck and be safe

Thread Information