Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

ok that makes since on why when i was following the trail back to my truck i found soneone made a manmade blind on one side of the creek just south of the field in the woods, and its about 25-30 yards to the other side of the creek where it has a nice good opening and the trail Y's off and makes its way to the field on direction and other direction goes back toward the woods more. so i beleive someones had the same though process in that exact location, its probably 20-30 yards from the tree line and where i would be sitting is probably 50-60 yards from the field. i think i can get in there and be ready before sun up, it was about a 10 min walk to get to that spot.

my only issue that has me worried is i dont have a stand so i can use that blind in my favor, im just worried the scent will be going north into the field and keep them from coming my way cause i very easly could be down wind of them at that point if the wind is not blowing NW, if it goes north im probably screwed. NE i know for sure they would . i guess i have to play that part by ear.

i might have to pull a hail mary and try another field

Sounds like a good plan to me. I wish you the best of luck and you have the enthusiasm to get this figured out on your own. Plus dont me disappointed if you dont see anything the first few sits. It happens to all of us.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

there is some more fields off to the west of where i scouted, that is in another parking area, it is ALOT closer of a hike to get too and the woods is to the north of the fields so i wounder if that would be a better location and hide in the woods on that side of that field cause of wind direction.
    ??? any thoughts on that?

I say go with your gut. Hunt the first field you were interested in and see whats happening there. On thing to remember about hunting is to keep it simple and go with your gut and dont try to over think it. I think it is time for you to get out there and hunt. Also try not to get tied to a spot it is better to have several options and spots to hunt especially on public land since you never know if someone will be in the same area as you want to be. If they are then you need to have a back up plan.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

yep i was just thinking the same thing, just dont know the land well enough to know where spots are good at, i guess only way to find out is try and see what happens. i know if wind is going north no way i can go to the north side of the field and hunt in that woods cause deer would be downwind of my location. so i would have to stay on the south side and hope i get lucky.

sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck let us know how you do.

yea im ready to get out in the field and just go with what is delt with me, if i get one and i cant get it out, one way or another ill figure out a way too, or same thing goes with field cleaning it, never done it, did alot of research , and only way to know if i can do it, is by doing it in the field on my own.

Field dressing isnt too difficult but much easier to show someone that to describe it. They doe I got last friday took about 7 minutes or less from when I took my jacket off until the deed was done. Probably only 4 minutes total to get everything out. The first deer I did myself took something like half an hour and I had been showed how to do it and aslo done it with instruction. Dont be discouraged if the first field dressing attempt doesnt go well. Make sure you have gloves, a sharp knife and some paper towels to clean up your knife and if you get any on you. Also when using the drag crisscross the deers legs over the neck/behind the head and then tie the drag around the neck where you have the legs crisscrossed. It will make it alot easier to drag and get over any logs that may be in the way.

If you get to shoot... make sure you wait at least 30 minutes after you shoot to go look for your arrow/track the deer. We lost a buck at out cabin last week because the guy couldnt wait the 30 minutes to get the deer. Good shoot but bumped the deer and lost the blood trail. 30 minutes is if you have a good hit. Longer if it was a poor shot.

Have you dont any research on good/bad angles and shots with archery equipment. If you havent I suggest you do so you can make a good shoot on the first one.

i did do a bit , i know where to aim, and know it needs to be a broad side shot with its front leg forward and not back toward the back end as the front shoulder blade cloud diflect the arrow and cause a bad hit or completely miss the vitals. i did not do much in reguards to BOWs though, but i did sight in my crossbow for 30 and 50 yards with my red dot so i should be ready, or so i hope, i just gotta go get my licenses and tag , drag, and a knife set and im ready for the woods.

One good knife will do you just fine. I like kershaw knives but everyone has their favorite as long as it is sharp you should be good to go. You dont need a huge blade 3" or so is good, otherwise it will just get in the way deer aren't that big inside. Unless you plan to butcher the deer the one knife deal is plenty. If you are going to try to butcher the deer yourself then that is a whole seperate conversation. Good luck make sure you check where your crossbow will hit at 20 and 40 yards. My bow and dad's crossbow are both sighted in at 20-30-40 yards since there is enough difference in those yardages to justify having them set up as such. But if you are hitting good at 20-50 yards being sighted in the way you are that gives you one less thing to worry about is getting the exact yardage right. Again good luck I hope you have lots of success your first time out.

Thread Information