Athletic Greens
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

again thank you for the deep reply, to answer the other guys post, its south west ohio, rush run wildlife area to be exact, in gratis ohio , near hueston woods state park. it is known to be a decent doe place but not good for bucks from what the history of the place, but again that could be a wrong statement cause im sure if there is a doe somewhere, there has to be a buck near it at one point.

the place i might be leasing is down in hamilton in a town called millvill, its apartently 1 stop sign and is about 15 achers. with a large pond and a farm behind it. with a good patch of woods between .

Like radicalxl said deer show up everywhere even if there isn't really obvious sign. I have hunted areas with tons of buck sign and scrapes all over the place but I never saw the buck that made them. It seems like you have a pretty good base knowledge the best way to figure out what the deer are doing in a particular area is to go out and hunt them you can adjust your set ups as necessary.

For example I have been hunting a particular area by my cabin for 8-9 years. This year I finally got a ladder stand to put where I thought the deer were moving. After one sit I needed to move the stand 50 yards. It turns out the final spot for the set was 40 yards from a tree i used to use my climber in. So I needed some minor adjustments to finally get the stand in the right spot. Remember you can always adjust your setup as necessary what you dont want to do is to constantly be moving your set. Where I am at not I had a buck and a few does walk by that week although they were there before I moved my set. I am able to see 60-80 yards and did see the majority of the deer I was after in that area but I will not be moving my setup again at least not until I give the spot I picked a little better chance.

The moral of the story is if you think you have a good spot go and sit it a few times for a few hours and see what you see. Dont be discouraged some spots really work out well others turn out to be duds.
    I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me. ~ Ted Nugent

next part to this issue, lets say i do go hunting and i do manage to get my first deer, how do i get it back to my truck by myself? there are a few good hills i would have to trail threw so im just worried that i might run into an issue where i cant get the deer out of the area im hunting there, which is one of the reasons why i was wanting private land, i can use my golfcart to get it out of the woods.

If there are trials you can use some thing like
    A game cart:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Yukon...h-All+Products

Or a simple deer drag http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunte...h-All+Products

I use both a deer cart and a deer drag depending on where the deer is and what needs to be done. Where I hunt there are usually some decent trails and or old logging roads. In those cases I go back to the truck and get the deer cart. I sometimes use a deer drag to get the deer to the logging roads. I will sometimes drag the deer all the way out with a deer drag depending on the number of people in the woods (gun opener). If you have some snow a cheap roll up sled makes things easier. On private land use your golf cart but on public land the deer drag always helps. Deer drags will also help to get the deer to a place with easy access to get them out.
    I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me. ~ Ted Nugent

good idea, i was thinking of using a sled like a plastic torpedo or something like that but for 10 bucks i think the drag would work, i just hope i can manage to pull it the 1 mile or so that it felt like i was walking.

Take your time and you will get it out. Deer tend to drag ok once they get on open ground. Here in the mountains of PA you always seem to have the deer go down the biggest hill in the neighborhood and some die and like to slide all the way to the bottom.

i think this sat morning im going to attempt my first hunt. at that field i found that doe, all depends on wind will depend on the direction i approach the place, from what the weather is saying its suppost to blow nw which means i should be ok to go to that stretch of trees and sit there and hope something comes out to that field where i was at before. dont really think i can get to the south woods line cause of the wind direction i would be downwind of them if they was going to come out of the woods behind me though.
    and it looks like its going to get cold out too which from what i understand is a plus helping them get active in the am and forces them to move around and feed.

Just an FYI. Big fields tend to be better in the evening. By the time you get there in the morning the deer will more than likely be bedded down and if they are not you will more than likely clear the field before you get set up. Now think about it how often do you see deer in fields during the day... not often. Now how often are they there right before dark... pretty often. So think about this get back off of the field were that doe came from in the woods and you have a little bit better chance of seeing deer in the morning. In the evening setup on a trail or two 20 - 30 yards from the field and see what you see. Thats how I would play it. But you have the boots on the ground experience with the place so I could be way off.

so your suggesting i stay just to the south of the field and see if i can get them heading from the field back into the woods to bed down for the day? i figured with it being as cold as its suppost to get and nasty day out, ( i think its going to be low 30-high 20's and cloudy and rainy) that they might be coming to field and staying out there to feed more then normal. or would my thought process be kinda wrong?

With the cold they will be feeding more then usual absolutely. I am not saying your plan is wrong. You may want to give it a try because I do not hunt too many fields since they are rare on public land here in PA. Will they be feeding in the field I don't know but I wouldn't set up to hunt the field edges in the morning. Setup inside the wood line it doesnt have to be very far but I would be 20-30 yards at least inside the wood line because they may be feeding just inside the field edge because the woods offer them some cover and protection so they would presumably stay there for safety.

Thread Information