Thread: mock scrape help pls

Hybrid View

I have had success with them over the years. Hung over natural scrapes and mock scrapes. Do they attract deer? Probably not, but if a buck is close enough the ones I have seen will investigate it. I have had does, big bucks, and little bucks come up and lick it. If anything the deer may let their guard down long enough to allow you a shot. Just my experience here in wv.

My thought is, it's your money and I am not going to tell you how to spend it but just my two cents here is, I have bow hunted for over 20 plus yrs, and at first I tried every new gadget new on the market, finally i wised up and saved my money and i have had a ton more success by just hunting smart, and keeping it simple. I don't use lures, buy the newest calls, or clothing, and have killed a lot more deer. instead of hanging drippers or making mock scrapes, just try and learn where the does are in the areas you hunt and you will have a lot more luck getting that buck this year! Good luck!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

mock scrape

I shot my biggest buck a 10pt. in Ohio 2 years ago using a mock scrape.I will move scrapes made by a buck by cutting the branch above the scrape where they chew on it, and take some of the dirt from it all while using rubber gloves.You can move a scrape where you want it by your tree stand.I also use Jackie's licking branch lure to put on a branch if I am starting a mock scrape.I like the idea of moving the scrape to my stand instead of having to move my stand to a scrape.You can fool a buck you just have to mess with his mind a little.I forgot to add I tie the branch I cut by using those plastic pull ties and put the dirt in my mock scrape using rubber gloves.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I believe the drippers attract deer, bucks and does alike. My best advice is to find an active scrape fairly deep in the woods/brush. Most scrapes alond field edges will be visited after dark. Those that are in the woods offer you the best chance to have a buck visit in daylight.

I hung a dripper last year and had pretty good results (lots of photos) with it. But, to be honest like BH said, peeing in one works just as good IMO. The scrape I watched last season was near my stand. Every night I left my stand I walked over and took a whiz in it. My camera showed I had plenty of action in the next couple of days.

But, I have taken whodeys approach this year. Less is more sometimes. My camears are not near my stand this year and my scent dripper lays on a shelf in my garage. I've hunted three days so far this year and could have killed four deer already.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Thread Information