Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need alittle help!

Need alittle help!

Okay im new to the site and new to the state of ohio just moved from iowa a month ago. Im a big time bow hunter and due to being new here I don't have no places to hunt yet. I live in Salem and was wondering if there is any good state land around here to bow hunt. Im not scared to walk so if I got walk in aways to find a good spot or get away from people I will. Im not a big fan of hunting state land but it kills me not being able to sit in a treestand lol. But if someone could help me out that would be great. Thanks

Welcome to the site bowhunter62!!....I'm don't hunt public land so I got zip for you....but there're alot of members that do, I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

well welcome to the sitte
    there is a lot of great public lands all over ohio
    I would get a good map of your area and look for public lands, I would also try asking your local game warden too, maybe they can steer you toards some crop damaged farms, where you might be able to ask for access to private lands too!
    never know till you try

Welcome to the site where is Salem located I hunt public land some

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    Your best bets would be Zepernick just SE of you on 172. Highlandtown off of 164 or 39. Brush Creek and Yellow Creek State Forest off of 164 or 213. Highlandtown, Brush Creek and Yellow Creek are all to the south of Salem. I listed these as closest distance first. All three are pretty good sized chunks of land. Brush Creek is by far the roughest as far as terrain. Zepernick had lots of sign last time I walked parts of it. I'm sure you are going to miss Iowa, but Ohio has some great bucks to hunt also. Good luck to you.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hortontoter View Post
    Your best bets would be Zepernick just SE of you on 172. Highlandtown off of 164 or 39. Brush Creek and Yellow Creek State Forest off of 164 or 213. Highlandtown, Brush Creek and Yellow Creek are all to the south of Salem. I listed these as closest distance first. All three are pretty good sized chunks of land. Brush Creek is by far the roughest as far as terrain. Zepernick had lots of sign last time I walked parts of it. I'm sure you are going to miss Iowa, but Ohio has some great bucks to hunt also. Good luck to you.
    Seeeeee!.....I told you there'd be some members on here that could help you!LOL
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Thanks guy. I'm going out Saturday to check the places hortontoter listed. Im just gonna use my muddy sticks and stand cause I don't feel safe leaving my stuff on public land. And I have another question, I hunt coyotes during the winter and I have an AR 15 and the website Ohio DNR says you can use rifles and a guy at work says no rifles for hunting anything in ohio is that true? And do they have any laws for the ARs for clip wise? Thanks guys

I saw a coyote far away Monday night while hunting. My friend that lives on the land hunts coyote with .223. I am looking forward to freezing and killing a coyote. Who knows I may get a shot on one while deer hunting.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/..._2013_2014.pdf

I saw a coyote far away Monday night while hunting. Pretty cool. Was the 1st one I ever seen. . My friend that lives on the land hunts coyote with .223. I am looking forward to freezing in the winter and killing a coyote. Who knows I may get a shot on one while deer hunting. Check the link for ohio hunting laws.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/..._2013_2014.pdf

well not up to date on Ohio's rules on semi's/rifle's
    (I'm from PA)
    but most states all have clip size on hunting rifles to either 3-5-10 shot mags( PA semi's rifle are illegal to hutn with for any species, but rifles bolt or pumps can be loaded to any amount you can find a way to load it)
    shotguns have to be plugged to 3 shots, so go figure
    best advice is to call the ODCNR and ask them your exact question, any info you get here could be wrong and get you introuble
    even if best intentions were meant
    current and uptodate , right from them is best idea I can give you on rules your not sure of!

Thread Information