Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2013-2014 deer check in and pic's

My x bow:
    150#
    260fps
    Energy 61#

I tried many rage muzzy ramcat to name a few.
    I shoot thunderhead 100gr
    Always get a pass through, never lost one

Never say never I use to shoot thunder heads and have lost a few

well over the yrs I have tied a few heads, and being a big time gun hunter, I have seen deer get shot , shot thru both front shoulders with a .50 bmg, a 750 grain soft nose hunting bullet , with a little over 12,000 Ft Lbs of energy!,
    shot at 75 yrds or so,not spooked or alert or anything!
    and the bullet left a hole you could throw a football though, and not hit anything
    and that deer ran over a 150 yrds, HOW?? no idea, was like jello when we tried to pick it up

and that was shot on video, (don't have the video anymore, and it was on VHS lol!)
    SO I am a firm believer in there is no magic broadhead or bullet, or caliber or poundage
    some deer just have an act of god in them , that seems to allow them to run even when everything is done right!
    its a good thing most deer don't do it, but it happens
    we as hunters all I HOPE try our best to make as fast a kill as possible
    but no one broad head or bullet is a sure thing!
    don't care what anyone says

Every situation is different. My woods have a lot of undergrowth the thunderheads work best for this. If I see a lot of blood I know I have a deer down and I don't give up looking. I never take a long shot because the resident does are few (about 5) and I don't want to run them off. They are after all the best bait.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRMS0406.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	10354

Quote Originally Posted by ed1315 View Post
    Every situation is different. My woods have a lot of undergrowth the thunderheads work best for this. If I see a lot of blood I know I have a deer down and I don't give up looking. I never take a long shot because the resident does are few (about 5) and I don't want to run them off. They are after all the best bait.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PRMS0406.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	10354
    we;; I am not sure what lots of under growth has to do with what head you use
    its been proven, that all projectiles deflect at random when conbtacting anything in flight, from arrows to missles
    makes no difference, a deflection is a deflection?
    and I don't take long shots with the bow anymore,(or the rifle for that matter) haven't in about 15+ yrs now
    I have helped tracked about 200+ deer over the yrs, and seen several great blood trails go dry, and never recovered deer(NOT all mine LOL) some times things happen
    organs shift and plug holes, lack of pass thru's, high hits that just fill inside the caviety, and so on
    there are also many not lethal places you can hit that bleed a lot at first , but don't kill
    so just cause you find a heavy blood trail at the site doesn't always make for a recoverable deer
    sad but true
    and thats a great buck in that pic
    best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    we;; I am not sure what lots of under growth has to do with what head you use
    its been proven, that all projectiles deflect at random when conbtacting anything in flight, from arrows to missles
    makes no difference, a deflection is a deflection?
    and I don't take long shots with the bow anymore,(or the rifle for that matter) haven't in about 15+ yrs now
    I have helped tracked about 200+ deer over the yrs, and seen several great blood trails go dry, and never recovered deer(NOT all mine LOL) some times things happen
    organs shift and plug holes, lack of pass thru's, high hits that just fill inside the caviety, and so on
    there are also many not lethal places you can hit that bleed a lot at first , but don't kill
    so just cause you find a heavy blood trail at the site doesn't always make for a recoverable deer
    sad but true
    and thats a great buck in that pic
    best of luck
    yeah that about sums it up unless you are using fixed heads and not expendables because you are worried about early deployment in the brush

Thread Information