Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking up

Quote Originally Posted by Stonegod View Post
    You can have all the confidence in the world....but if your tactics and/or gear are faulty.....it's not going to do you much good.
    I agree you must have good gear and tactics, but you are not confident in what you are doing?

Ok, Can someone explain the procedures. How is the fire started? What wood is used? Is any type of propellent utilized? To address the question of repeated use, i would seal the clothing in an airtight bag between hunts if I couldn't re smoke before the next day out.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Ok, Can someone explain the procedures. How is the fire started? What wood is used? Is any type of propellent utilized? To address the question of repeated use, i would seal the clothing in an airtight bag between hunts if I couldn't re smoke before the next day out.
    Most use a bee type of smoker or you can also get one at: www.scentsmoker.com

Hickory smoking chips is most often used and you can add additional varieties including pine, pine needles and pine cones too. Start the fire inside using a propane torch and once it's going good you snuff it out with another small handful of wood chips to get the smoking going. Just let the smoke cover everything from clothing, pack, bow, release, boots, seats, blinds, etc..
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Interesting, I wonder if liquid smoke as used in cooking would work. It has a strong hickory smell and could be used like doe pee. Anyone try this? It could be the next big thing.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Quote Originally Posted by ed1315 View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if liquid smoke as used in cooking would work. It has a strong hickory smell and could be used like doe pee. Anyone try this? It could be the next big thing.
    The smoke masks your human scent so you'd have to take a bath in the stuff. Not really used as an attractant in any way other than I have had deer curiously follow my trail in and out of the woods without spooking tho.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by ed1315 View Post
    I think the enzymes in the wood smoke are what nuetralize the human scent/odor...liquid smoke would not do it

I smoke up the easy way, I have a burning barrel I use for trash, I just put leaves and twigs in it and light it and stand over it to get smoked up. I do this before each hunt, and after several yrs of doing this I have never been winded!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

I've been reading everyone's post on "smoking up" and I mite have to give this a try. I havnt heard of it til I seen it on here but I seems interesting. Being winded is the worst. Are there local places that sell smokers for bees. I seen the website about scentsmoker.com but I'd rather not order stuff online.
    STROTHER INFINITY
    RIPCORD REST
    TRUGLOW SIGHT
    ICS BEMAN ARROWS
    TRU-FIRE RELEASE
    28.5 DRAW 65LBS

Quote Originally Posted by Strother23 View Post
    I've been reading everyone's post on "smoking up" and I mite have to give this a try. I havnt heard of it til I seen it on here but I seems interesting. Being winded is the worst. Are there local places that sell smokers for bees. I seen the website about scentsmoker.com but I'd rather not order stuff online.
    Not that I know of.. I've ordered mine from scent smoker back in early August - it took about 2weeks before I received it due to back ordering.

I'm new to this as well. I will post updates on this thread throughout the season.

Good luck guys!

I just started smoking up this year as well. From the results that I have seen and from talking to guys that have been doing it for a few years, I'm hooked.. I ordered mine on a Thursday night around 6pm and it was at my house that following Saturday. $43.00 was the total after shipping. I figured why not I spend that plus some on detergent, deodorant, and spray every year so why not try this.. Glad I did!

Thread Information