Thread: Need a place to hunt

Need a place to hunt

I just lost a farm to the Amish that I have been hunting for 12 years. Thought I would have it forever. Myself and my two sons all hunt together and need a new place to call home. We have excellent hunting etiquette and we will treat your land as if it was our own. We mostly archery hunt, and we clean up after ourselves and others if we find a mess. If you know of someone and we could meet up, that would be appreciative.

Thank You,

Danny

well since you have not said where your from, that makes it harder
    and to be honest, getting invites over a forum you just joined isn't easy
    My suggestion would be to start looking at public lands, theer are TONS of great public lands in Ohio
    next start knocking on doors in area's you like, but being right before the season now, its kinda pushy, most land owners look down on guys showing up just prior to the season or in the mist of it
    makes people look lazy, and not willing to ask in advance and possible get to know the land owner or help them out before just hunting the lands
    and I know the deal with loosing lands, I lost my hunting spot in Ohio, 2 going on 3 season's ago, when the owner lost his battle with Cancer, and the wife sold the place
    you can also try asking the new owners, some times the Amish let folks hunt there lands
    but getting free invits on a opem forum josu joined, is going to be hard sale, anyone can say what ever on a forum, it normally takes some time for members to get to know you and see how you pan out !
    best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well since you have not said where your from, that makes it harder
    and to be honest, getting invites over a forum you just joined isn't easy
    My suggestion would be to start looking at public lands, theer are TONS of great public lands in Ohio
    next start knocking on doors in area's you like, but being right before the season now, its kinda pushy, most land owners look down on guys showing up just prior to the season or in the mist of it
    makes people look lazy, and not willing to ask in advance and possible get to know the land owner or help them out before just hunting the lands
    and I know the deal with loosing lands, I lost my hunting spot in Ohio, 2 going on 3 season's ago, when the owner lost his battle with Cancer, and the wife sold the place
    you can also try asking the new owners, some times the Amish let folks hunt there lands
    but getting free invits on a opem forum josu joined, is going to be hard sale, anyone can say what ever on a forum, it normally takes some time for members to get to know you and see how you pan out !
    best of luck
    I agree with you better hurry season starts in a week

Thank You Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Danny U View Post
    I just lost a farm to the Amish that I have been hunting for 12 years. Thought I would have it forever. Myself and my two sons all hunt together and need a new place to call home. We have excellent hunting etiquette and we will treat your land as if it was our own. We mostly archery hunt, and we clean up after ourselves and others if we find a mess. If you know of someone and we could meet up, that would be appreciative.

Thank You,

Danny
    Thanks for the Info. I am from Northeast Ohio. I am new only because I was looking for info and came across this site. I am thinking of joining a club, but $$$ are kinda high. I have not knocked on doors, but I have dropped letters in the mailbox. I had a few responses to that and they all said thank you for not knocking and if the normal hunters do not show up, they would give me a call back. Haven't heard anything back though. I am well aware of public hunting, that is where I shot my biggest buck. I just want a place to call my own and home. i like to learn a spot and disect it. When I get a deer doing that, it seems to be alot more satisfying than just getting lucky.

well I peersonaly perfer being asked in person over a letter, have had both many times, asking for permission to hunt my place
    I feel a personal one on one, and I don't have to take more of my time up to reply or read letters

but hey never know

you can also try going to local churches in area's you like, and see if they have a bulletin board you can maybe place a few 5x7 cards on looking for a place to hunt
    can also try asking your local game warden about farmers that have lots of crop damage, they might be more willing to allow you on, even if just for doe, and then build a relationship over time for bucks!, or different seasons,
    Good Luck

Good luck Danny. I just bought a new farm in Ashtabula County this past spring. There is a lot of land for sale in NE Ohio and more reasonable than you think. I've seen some 40 acre pieces go for the price of new pick up truck, minus mineral rights. That's the only real way to have a place to call your own and home.

www.brunerland.com
    www.landsofohio.com
    www.landwatch.com

-Brian

Thread Information