Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: land owner hunting liscense??

Hybrid View

land owner hunting liscense??

Ok. guys if you are a land owner in ohio do you have to buy a hunting liscense??? Can you just buy the tags??

If you are a resident landowner, you do not need to buy the license or the tags. You make your own tag and attach it to the deer with your name and address along with location and time of kill. That used to hold true for non-resident landowners like myself but that changed this year. Here's the language from the ODNR DOW web site:

"License Exemptions

Certain categories of persons are exempted from buying various licenses, permits, and/or stamps.

1.Ohio resident landowners, spouses, and their children - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, or Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land they own.

2.Nonresident landowners - A nonresident landowner, and the spouse and children living with the landowner, may hunt on that property without a license, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp or fur taker permit, IF the nonresidents home state allows residents of Ohio owning property in the nonresidents home state, and the spouse and children living with the Ohio property owner, to hunt without a license, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp, or fur taker permit.

3.A member of a limited liability company or partnership is a landowner - Provided the member is an Ohio resident and the limited liability company or limited liability partnership consists of three or fewer individual members or partners, or beneficiary or trustee of a trust that has three or fewer trustees or beneficiaries.

4.Tenants and their children on land on which they reside and from which they derive the majority (more than 50 percent of their income from agricultural production on that land) - Are not required to have a hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, antlerless deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, or Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp when they are hunting or trapping on land where they reside.

5.Ohio resident landowners’ grandchildren who are under 18 years old - Are not required to have a hunting license or an Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp while hunting on their grandparent’s land. All other licenses and permits are required.

6.Ohio residents who are holders of veteran’s license plates displaying the international wheelchair symbol - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, spring or fall turkey permit, and an Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

7.Certain permanently disabled veterans who are Ohio residents - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, either-sex deer permit, turkey permit, and Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

8.Ohio residents who are former prisoners of war - Must apply in writing for a free hunting license, fur taker permit, and Ohio Wetland Habitat Stamp. All other licenses and permits are required. Applications are available at wildohio.com.

9.Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty, while on leave or furlough - Are not required to purchase a hunting license, Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp, or fur taker permit. All other licenses and permits are required.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty stationed in Ohio, but NOT on leave or furlough are required to purchase a resident Ohio hunting license and other applicable permits before hunting deer, turkey, or hunting/trapping furbearers and an Ohio Wetlands Habitat Stamp for waterfowl before hunting any migratory waterfowl."

-Brian

ok. what if I am hunting on my land and the deer shot on my land but has to be retrieved from another propery??

I can't wait to see the answers we get to this one :-)

:lurk5:
    Sword Accusite Apex
    Timberline No-Peep
    Tight-Spot Quiver
    Whisker Biscuit

Excalibur ExoMax
    Hawke 3x32
    HSS Tree Stalker

I am sitting on the edge of my property but their two other properties that i am wedged in between. i do have permission to retrieve from both property ownrrs. but you just never know how they will react when shot.

If you shoot the deer on your land and retrieve it from a neighbor's property....you are fine.
    Enjoy your hunt- the long sit......... the cold.......the rain and snow......the peace and quiet, it may just be your last hunt........... you never know.

Live in Akron and hunt mostly in Carroll County
    I don't think so. If the deer crosses the property line, you must have written permission and tag the deer with a purchased deer tag. The act of retrieveing the deer is considered "hunting" you must have a license and tag to retrieve the deer from the neighbors property.
    I may be opinionated...but, my opinion is the only one that matters anyway.

I have been hunting on my dads property for a few years now, and I also hunt on other property. I carry a license and a tag just in case the deer makes it to the neighbors property. As long as you shoot the deer and retrieve it on your own property you are fine. As far as I have been told though if it crosses that line you are no longer exempt.
    “Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”
    ― Ted Nugent

2008 Bowtech 82nd Airborne

So to add to the question. What if you shoot a buck on your property and you tag as "land owner"? Is that your one and only buck for the year or can you get an "either" permit as well to shoot another?

The only thing the landowner exemption does is keep you from having to buy a tag. All other rules dates and limits apply. Your best bet might be to call the ODNR helpline. They can answer very specifically for you what is and isn't allowed.
    “Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”
    ― Ted Nugent

2008 Bowtech 82nd Airborne

Thread Information