Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned

Canned

Do any of you can your deer meat? If so how do you do it? I am buying a pressure canner. I have heard that canned meat is delicious. I buying the canner to can up some chili that I make with my ground meat. I figure it will be convenient for deer camp. Also plan on doing some different soups. But I'm curious about canning just the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I do not can my meat. I wrap and freeze mine.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Canned

The best advise I can give on caning is to find yourself some one who knows and has used a pressure cooker before if you have never done it those thing can explode if you don't know what you are doing good luck. But for me I don't really care for canned deer meat to salty for me. I stick to the freezer
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

Canned deer meat is awesome. My parents use to do it back in the day. I have a friend that still cans his today. You can use it for deer BBQ, make it with gravy and have open face sandwiches, make noodles and add it for like a stroganoff, limitless possibilities. Mmmmmmm! Making me hungry just talking about it.

Has anyone canned deer meat using water bathed method...
    I don't care who you are, but when your in the woods and it turns pitch black, your mind can really play tricks on you expecially when you don't know the woods. :001_07:

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
    Has anyone canned deer meat using water bathed method...
    Do not do this! It does not get hot enough to kill all the bad stuff. You need a pressure canner. I have been doing a lot of reading on this. I can't remember the numbers but it's like 10 psi for 40 minutes.

TY I always can water bath method ...So I guess ill get to try a new thing pressure cooking ...
    I don't care who you are, but when your in the woods and it turns pitch black, your mind can really play tricks on you expecially when you don't know the woods. :001_07:

I will be buying a pressure canner a well. I'm curious to see how it comes out. I have heard good and bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    I do not can my meat. I wrap and freeze mine.
    I don't believe it has to be salty. You can make it how you want. I am a newbie. So I have only had the pleasure of getting two deer last year and I had them processed. I would love to process them myself if I get one later in the season when it's not so warm. With thy said all my meat has been vacuum packed and frozen and it is very good. I just want to try something different.

I first time canned venison this year, it was so good that my youngest
    wanted his done in pints so he could heat and eat when ever...

ONION SOUP MIX (this is safe to can in pressure canner)

1/4 cup dried onions
    2 Tablespoons beef bouillon (I used Wylers beef powder)
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
    1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

I put 1 Tablespoon soup mix in a pint jar with 1 Tablespoon water then pack with
    Chunks of raw meat tight to with in 1 inch head space in jars.
    Wipe rims clean and place sterilized lids and rings in place
    then process 90 mins after 10 min steam escape at 11 lbs of pressure or depending on your elevation.
    When done processing take out and let set for 24 hours then done to make sure it seals ok...

Just drain juice in a pan and make into gravy and add meat and heat or not just heat meat and eat...

you can also add raw meat, raw potatoes, raw carrots, 1 tablespoon water, 1 tablespoon soup mix,
    to a quart jar pack tight to 1 inch head space and process for the 90 mins at 11 lbs pressure.
    then you have a meal in a jar save juice for gravy...

You can also just pack raw meats with what ever spices you want salt and pepper its still turns out yummy and tinder...

You can also do this with cuts of beef its like roast right out of oven...
    any Questions just ask ill try to get back to them as soon as I can.....
    its my new way of storing meat its really good and falls apart...enjoy Sherry

Thread Information