Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throw and Grow plot

Throw and Grow plot

...planted a throw and grow plot out in the woods (public) two weeks ago. Wondering if anyone has had experience with these, and how soon I should go back and check it / put up a trail cam. I did rake and loosen the soil, used a spreader ( only 20x20 ). I did NOT fertilize it, or water it. Any thoughts on how it may do?

most of them seeds mixes, have a coating of a littl;e bit of fert lime and start up
    most will grow as long as the ground isn't hard as a rock, and well the seeds make contact with dirt/soil, and not sit on leaves and that matter
    most of the seeds in them are pretty fast growing and you should see a sprout of what's in the in 7 days or less on most seeds
    in about 3 weeks, it should be about 3-4 inches tall on a good take or taller
    al lot of teh seeds are like 45-80 day deals to mature status

I put some down two weeks ago Saturday, went back last week it was almost 4".. If you put it in a 50 shade 50 sun and not rock hard it grows really well...

is it legal to plant plots on public land ?????????????

Thanks - comments are encouraging. Wasn't too optimistic but thought I would give it a try. 00Buck - I don't know. I guess I thought since I didn't cut anything ( only raked the soil) I assumed it was legal. I will have to find out and report back. I am not one to break any rules, but ignorance is no excuse... While on the subject is it legal to trim any branches when using a climber on public land? I try to find "ready to climb" trees, but now I am wondering if I pruned a branch from my set up - if I would be violating any regs?? Unless someone knows for sure ( if so please share), I will call the ODNR and get some answers...

here in PA< it is illegal to cut or trim any living tree, and or plant anything on public lands state or federal
    NOW will a game warden write you up for cutting a few small branches or twigs??
    or will they notice any small plots??
    Maybe maybe not, but odds are its not allowed in Ohio either
    call that stuff the gray area, most of do at some point in time in our yrs hunting, and well, some get in trouble and some don't
    Good luck!

So I am reporting back. After calling the ODNR and talking 6 different people - only one knew the answer. And it it NOT advised to use throw and grow on public land. First it may be considered baiting - but only if you hunt over it. And the main reason you don't want to do it..... LITTERING. Yes, the throwing of seeds in the woods is littering. So, I and a huntin buddy both called multiple people and while only one could answer the question - I would not advise it. Nor, will I be hunting over what I threw down. For the record, I went back to clean up my litter, and the seeds were nowhere to be found! Just a plush carpet of green clover/grass go figure! Learn from mistakes fellow rookies.... Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Thanks 00buck for asking the question, I try to do things by the book - as we all should. That's why this forum is so valuable to us newbies!

Well I figured it wasn't wanted to be done
    and it can also be a way of invasive plants to be grown on public lands, another reason they don't want it done there some states can fine for adding new plants to an area
    but glad all is good now for you

Toke, last I checked you can hunt over bait in ohio so I dont think it could be considered baiting. As for littering I could see that one.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    Toke, last I checked you can hunt over bait in ohio so I dont think it could be considered baiting. As for littering I could see that one.
    You can only hunt over bait on private land in Ohio.

Thread Information