Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odnr

Odnr

If you were in charge of the of odnr or any state for that matter what would you do different
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

BOWTECH CARBON KNIGHT 4.4 LBS LOADED
    QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

well my biggest grip here in PA, is, I wish they would enforc trespassing, they could make a ton of money, and then use that to improve habitat
    as Habitat improvement is my second biggest grip here in PA
    we have litteraly hundreds of thousands of acres of prime timberable lands
    which any TRUE expert, can tell you the great improvements timbering done RIGHT can make to the habitat, and help all sorts of wildlife
    I get so tried hearing game dept, cry about the money, when they are sitting on millions and millions of dollars of timber
    that would not only solve the budget issue's, but also improve wildlife
    so that would be my two first changes in PA if I could
    thrid would be maybe allow more in put from land owners on deer numbers, andf less red tape if they wanted to do more thinning or less , pending on there lands

I agree. My biggest gripe in pa is that the PA Legislature has partial control of the Game commission instead of the PA GC being a completely independent agency. Thus when the politicians feel like it they can change the game laws to suit there election needs regardless of the recommendations of the GC biologists.

Trespass in PA is enforced by the State Police or local police not the Game Wardens so its tough to get anyone on trespass and once you do its just a slap on the wrist. I wish though that PA would do some habitat improvement similar to what is done on ohio. In Ohio every public hunting property I went to for the most part has some type of crop planted for game etc. They used to do that in PA but not anymore.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well Pa's other problem is we have so much ferdeal lands too,
    and getting anything done on them is like a act of god required first!

many many other staes game depts, actually more than not, do enforce trespassing, and some have some very severe fines
    calling the local police or state police here in PA is a joke, they all pass the buck, and tell you call someone else, been there done at about 50 times, and gave up!
    take matters more into my own hands best I can now!
    But sure would be nice if the state stepped in, and talk about income, I do not know a land owner here in Pa that doesn't have issue's, that owns more than 50 acre's , or in a deer heavy area!
    I'd like to see check stations, and bigger fines if caucght poaching and or not reporting a kill too!
    help clear up some of the bad apples maybe

Odnr

If I could change anything this is what id like to see
    1) I would try to get all the check stations opened back up and do away with the phone and computer check in
    2) get the state police and county sheriffs involved in checking tags on deer that they see like if he pulls in a gas station and see a deer in the bed of a truck and just ask them I need to see your tag. Or something like that
    3) I would introduce a law like Texas has the buck needs to be a certain a size like needs to be like just say 12-13 inches inside with to help with the herd management
    4) I'm prolly going to get burned on this one but I would make all this herd driving in gun seasons illegal there is nothing safe about that at all as how I see it.
    This is just me not trying to get crucified just stating what I would like to see changed.
    ******* man's only natural predator is man himself *********** poet's name buckstalker17 !!!! And to think my highschool teacher told me sitting on my tail all day would get me nothing in life .

QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

well not bad Idea's
    but I being a non resident, and having to drive a lot of miles across Ohio to get home, wouldn't want to be stopped and asked for a tag or proof of it, on the way home, , leave s the door open too much for harassment to me
    But agree, a check station is the best way to get real numbers

and as for doing deer drives
    again, that's a leagal way to hunt, and these days its done a lot lass than yrs back, I think
    I have done deer drives for archery people , not just gun season
    granted there more like small slow walks into an area where deer are hoping they leave past a hunter I have set up
    no running shots or the likes
    and doing this, I have managed to get several first time hunters kids, deer on every try to date
    and many many states have antler restrictions, Pa being one
    all for that too
    on all bust kids
    a kid should be allowed to shot any deer they want to get and keep the desire to hunt if you ask me!
    But that's it, everyone else shoul;d be able to kill does for meat, and alow breeding bucks to be older and make healither deer, not just bigger racks!
    been very lucky, of all the first timers I took (about 15 now) I have got them all a deer on there first outing with me, some due to one man drives
    and rest due to food plots

Quote Originally Posted by buckstalker17 View Post
    If I could change anything this is what id like to see
    1) I would try to get all the check stations opened back up and do away with the phone and computer check in
    2) get the state police and county sheriffs involved in checking tags on deer that they see like if he pulls in a gas station and see a deer in the bed of a truck and just ask them I need to see your tag. Or something like that
    3) I would introduce a law like Texas has the buck needs to be a certain a size like needs to be like just say 12-13 inches inside with to help with the herd management

4) I'm prolly going to get burned on this one but I would make all this herd driving in gun seasons illegal there is nothing safe about that at all as how I see it.
    This is just me not trying to get crucified just stating what I would like to see changed.
    One thing PA got right was antler restrictions they do work. 3 on a side in some areas and 3 up in others (not including brows) It works I have been seeing more and larger bucks as a result of those restrictions. having something like 12-13" is impossible for the hunter to get right especially since most people couldn't eyeball 12-13".

As for deer driving people feel various ways about it. It can be done safe and I've done it in rifle season since I started hunting with family but everything is planned. Now we do silent drives with less then 8 people. Not the hoot'in holler'in 20 man drives
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    well Pa's other problem is we have so much ferdeal lands too,
    and getting anything done on them is like a act of god required first!
    You got that right the Forest service is useless. The Allegheny National Forest by my camp is like walking through central park there is no under story period. It could use a good selective cut to open up the canopy and create some under growth, food and cover for wild life.

Odnr

I wouldn't think getting checked for a tag on your way back home be harassing if you are legal I'm sure most out of state hunters would have the deer 1/4 up and caped not all but most. But a game warden can stop any one allready so that issue would allways be there but most of the offenders usually live in the areas they hunt now if this was a real world scenario there would be a lot of details to work out for sure. As for the deer drive I know most put safety first no one gets in front of another and all that. There was a story I read about two years ago on the web I wish I could find it again but to sum it up there was a father his 3 sons and the dads brother went out and drove a field the had permission to hunt when they jumped a deer and shot it. But what they didn't realize is the was another father and son setting in a blind in the same Area and had permission also to hunt but to make a long story short the father was shot one time in the neck and was pronounced dead at the scene, just food for though I gave that story to my cousin and they no longer do drives. When its hunting season your never alone unless you are on your own property yea there is alllways going to be trespassers and that's the shame of it all i get permission if I don't I stay off

QAD REST
    ARMORTECH SIGHTS

In your news story if that deer would have stood up and walked that way as well that father and son in the blind could have been in harms way. Better question... did the blind have any orange on it or showing? When I hunt in a blind I have an orange attached to each corner. I dont use blinds in gun season. So this really doesnt sound like much of an issue with the deer drive at all just a deer got bumped which happens all the time and someone didnt obey the basic firearm saftey rules of knowing your target and backstop. It is tragic what happened but it wasnt really a drive either. One man going for a walk in a circle isnt really what I would call an organized drive. Plus banning drives would be almost impossible since according to your story if I went for a walk in a circle to say "warm up" or took the long way to meet my dad at his stand for lunch and happened to bump some deer in his direction then I would be doing a deer drive. What happened in your story was tragic but there were saftey rules that were not followed... if that is enough for you to not do deer drives anymore then thats your decision. Im pretty sure we are going to disagree on this but hey thats the fun part of this discussion.

Thread Information