Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: falls??

just a heads up, we at my northern camp used to use ladderstand,s and well, just leave them then yr to yr, over the yrs, the stae game wardens started taking them on us
    as they tell us its illegal to leave out all yr on game lands?
    we worried mroe about people stealing them and turns out its the game wardens LOl

so started doing these loc's on
    as theer just more work for anyone to take the way we set them up
    we do take down every season too now, but less work than pulling a ladderstand for use

As of a few years ago leaving a stand up after the season on public lands is not illegal in PA. I think it is after february? Stands can go up a month before season and must be removed a by a month after the season if I remember correctly. Now the end of deer season applies to the latest deer season in the state with is well into January.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I have not fallen out of a stand but I gotta tell ya putting them up and especially taking them down can be a bit sketchy. I'm not bothered by heights so I love a nice tall stand. I have three 21 foot ladder stands. When we put them up it wasn't to bad. We used three people and one guy held the ropes while the other guy held the ladder. I climbed up and hooked up the ratchet straps. We recently moved one of these stands and I gotta tell ya I wasn't to excited about it. We left the stabilizer bar on and they held the ladder while I climbed up. When I let the second strap go I Haden's thought of the tree growing and adding pressure to the strap. Needless to say it sprung the stand out from the tree from the tension an scared the bejesus out of me. My but hole was so tight you couldn't drive a pin up there with a jackhammer! With this knowledge I now will be undoing the straps on all the stands and re strapping them so the tree can grow an not get damaged. I know most people leave there stands up all year and I wonder how many actually check the condition of the straps. I noticed some uv damage on the straps themselves. I think I will be changing them out for next year. I do wear a tree spider harness while hunting. I get pretty excited when I actually see a deer and can see myself stepping right off it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

i have fallen out of a stand 25 ft and only broke ribs thank god i now wear a harness and a use a life line just remember harness's have an expiration date just like food, before you go out this season look as it might be time to replace them oh and the fall was from a hang on that had snow on it hurt like hell

Knock on wood no falls here either. I have almost made a big mistake, when the tree climbers really started getting big I was using my buddies. When I got up in the tree I realized that the seat part was sloped down way to much, so what did I do, took the wing nut off and try to fix it way up in the tree. And of course I dropped the wing nut to the ground. Luckily I was able to hold it just tight enough to be able to climb down, but wow what a close call.

On ladderstand, I used to always loosen the top straps in the off season to allow the tree to grow
    in high risk locations to them growing legs, I made metal brackets I lag bot to the tree , and also use them as a back up to if a strap ever fails, done this on loc on stands too!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    On ladderstand, I used to always loosen the top straps in the off season to allow the tree to grow
    in high risk locations to them growing legs, I made metal brackets I lag bot to the tree , and also use them as a back up to if a strap ever fails, done this on loc on stands too!
    Good thinking

The only time I ever fell if you can call it that is I was climbing up the tree steps and about 4 feet up my foot slipped off the step and I kind of jumped back away from the tree and landed on my feet. I have been in some othere sticky situations while hanging some stands but was always able to work my way out of them. I have now transitioned to nearly all ladder stands and I love them. They are definitely alot safer.

no falls yet! (let me knock on some wood). i've been lucky, but my son ( married, two kids) fell a few years ago. He was hanging a lock on. Just got 3/4 of the stick strapped to the tree. He stepped up to sinch the last strap and stepped on a stubby limb, he thought it was the stick. It broke and went down catching just above the knee a step about 4 feet off the ground turning him upside down, but luckly stopping him from hitting the ground. It ripped the jeans up to his crouch. A few scrapes and bruises, but he was OK. I had been hounding him to wear a harness but he wouldn't. I even bought him one. He said that he likes going in as lite as he can. So the old man couldn't convince him, but the fall did !
    He now where's one, even when he's hanging stands. The linemans rope will give you both hands to work with, it makes it more easy and safer.
    Good subject mrbb!
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

Thread Information